Factor for payroll

rmart100

Hey all,

I'm sorry if the title was a bit vague, but I didn't know if a term existed or if there was a more succinct way of describing what I'm trying to achieve.

So, our business is having some cash flow problems with receivables terms being much later than payables. My boss wants to take on some very large projects with the mindset that it's a large payout eventually. I want to figure out what's the amount of money we need to have set aside in order to cover payroll for a project of X size.

After going about it in a very round about way, I realized the only thing I managed to do was average the costs of our services and got a ballpark figure that overestimated the cost of labor and underestimated the net revenue when applied to a job. Essentially it reduced to

(cost of service / charge of service)1 + (cost of service / charge of service)2 ... n / number of services rendered

Anyway, I'm stumped as to how to figure this out short of adding everything up line by line, project by project. If anyone has a better way of figuring this out, please let me know.

Yes. Very vague. You'll have to do better. In any case, we're really here for math students. Will you share your salary with us if we help you?

You're welcome to ask. If you're serious, and you don't understand tkhunny's comment regarding the vagueness, then please inquire. Otherwise, if you think you understand what additional information needs to be presented, go for it.

Just understand that this is a tutoring forum. You may wait awhile, for a volunteer with the required experience (and motivation) to spend their time analyzing your situation. Also understand, that, if someone takes it on, you might need to answer a number of specific questions over time. That's the normal process, when we deal with partially-presented information while simultaneously providing guidance, suggestions, examples, et cetera.

Cheers :cool:

Yes. Very vague. You'll have to do better. In any case, we're really here for math students. Will you share your salary with us if we help you?
Haha, I'm sorry but I make hourly in a family business that I got into just doing filing. I wish it were salaried.

I was not aware this was a forum specifically for students, but I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond, even if it was to only tell me it was too vague.

As I write out this problem, I realize it's tactless to ask for free help with the situation, and will just have to do the long arithmetic in finding the bottom line until either my grasp of mathematics is stronger or the owners feel it's a substantial enough problem that they're willing to purchase assistance.

Once again, thank you both for your time.

You may be here only for math students. What gives you the right to speak for me?