Issue: v-Bulletin Search Function

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
Oh, I'm just whining about the v-Bulletin software, again.

This time, it's the search function.

There have recently been a number of fake members joining this site posting what appear to be bona fide requests for help on specific math exercises. They all include a spamming URL to the studydaddy dot com commercial tutoring service. This is a violation of forum policy. Most of these fake members post from India.

(I remind everybody again that these threads will be removed, as I find them. Don't bother replying to any of them. Please report them; moderators may simply execute a soft delete.)

So, I started a search by typing the character string studydaddy into the search box -- located near the upper right corner of most pages.

I was encouraged to see only three threads located.

I am confused to discover than none of them contain the character string studydaddy.

I don't know what this means. :???: If anybody would like to proffer a guess or explanation, I welcome that.

There have recently been a number of fake members joining this site posting what appear to be bona fide requests for help on specific math exercises. They all include a spamming URL to the studydaddy dot com commercial tutoring service. This is a violation of forum policy. Most of these fake members post from India.

So, I started a search by typing the character string studydaddy into the search box.
I was encouraged to see only three threads located.

I am confused to discover than none of them contain the character string studydaddy.

I don't know what this means.
Maybe the "search" utility is looking at the BBCode (or the "source") for a thread...?

Maybe the "search" utility is looking at the … the [page] "source" …
Spot on!

I'm very ignorant, when it comes to html, and it never occurred to me to simply look at the source code. Each of those threads contain several references to studydaddy URLs. It's pretty much Greek, to me.

May I ask? Did you write the html for your tutoring site?

One of my goals here is to get spamming URLs from any content accessed by search-engine spiders off the server.

If you're familiar with html code or administrative issues related to SPAM on your site, I'd like to send you some questions by private message. No expectations, of course! :cool:

May I ask? Did you write the html for your tutoring site?
For the actual lessons, yes. For the "responsive" Javascripts, CSS, and related HTML, I had to pay a guy.

I'm fairly ignorant, too! :oops::shock::lol: