Need help with a kindergartner that skips the number 6 when counting

AMalik

I am helping my KG son learn counting and he consistently misses to count the number 6. I don't know why he does that... He will go 1,2,3,4,5 and then jump to 7 and he can count the rest of the numbers properly after that. Any idea what I can do to get him to count the number 6 as well... will appreciate any help.

I am helping my KG son learn counting and he consistently misses to count the number 6. I don't know why he does that... He will go 1,2,3,4,5 and then jump to 7 and he can count the rest of the numbers properly after that. Any idea what I can do to get him to count the number 6 as well... will appreciate any help.

There are couple of ways you could try.

1. If your son can Identify numbers you could show them the number cards and ask him to repeat.

2.Mostly in this early ages they learn from what they observe , So while teaching your son to count number , you should speak out the numbers from 1-10 for 5 times and tell your son to repeat it for once. If he missed out 6 number again follow the same step until he learns. This has to work , if he still has the problem counting 6 you could try another method with same way, it's professional.

3.things you'll be needing is glass and a spoon to make as cling sound while striking spoon to glass.

procedure:
it needs lot of patience,a while you counting the numbers from 1- 10 count them slow and steady only at the number 6 strike the glass with spoon to make cling sound ,count for 2 times and tell your son to count from 1-10 while he was counting make a cling sound again at 6 ,if he misses and goes to 7 don't make any cling sound , stop him there u count from 1-10 with cling sound at 6 for two times and tell him to repeat , very soon he'll learn it. Once he learn counting 6 tell him to count now without cling sound , this way he'll get it used to it.

Caution - once he learns to count you should stop that cling sound and make him count without any sound.

It's an effective way to teach your kid learn .I hope this would help you. :)

Thanks Benny@018... greatly appreciate it. I am definitely going to try the method you suggested. It sounds very interesting and cool.

I've never studied the psychology of education; I've never worked as a teacher. Likewise, I cannot speak to any organic issues your son may experience mentally, with the number six issue. But here are some general comments.

The more senses involved, the sooner we learn things.

We need to hear math. We need to speak math. We need to see math. We need to write math.

Different areas of the brain get activated, with each sense. The brain will quickly grow new connections between these areas, as soon as it recognizes that the encoded information is related. Once these extra connections are in place, activating one area (hearing, for example) immediately activates all interconnected areas.

Make sure you engage all of your son's senses.

Also, there is a significant difference between learning (1) the English words, (2) the numerals, and (3) the concepts. Studies show that preschoolers and kindergartners who learn not only to count out loud (by repeating the string of English words in order) but also to associate with those words both numerals and visual sets of objects (that is, the concept of oneness, twoness, threeness, etc.) do much better in mathematics later on.

Make sure your son is not just counting fingers. He needs to see sets of objects, along with the corresponding numerals, while hearing/speaking the names. You can use things like groups of pennies or sets of pencils.

There are lots of resources available online.

Google keywords images kindergarten number sets for printable worksheets with drawn sets of objects.

Google keywords youtube kindergarten counting sets for short videos designed by educators for learning to count to ten.

If the issue with number six continues, please contact your son's teacher for a conference. Thank you for being an active participant in your son's education. :D

[video=youtube;xewMVtMk14Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewMVtMk14Q[/video]