Thread: Evaluate the integral geometrically: int[0,a] sqrt{R^2-x^2} dx using triangle, sector

Evaluate the integral geometrically: int[0,a] sqrt{R^2-x^2} dx using triangle, sector

If someone could explain how to do this problem (in detail please) or show me how, I would greatly appreciate it.

1-2. The function [tex]f(x)\, =\, \sqrt{\strut R^2\, -\, x^2\,}[/tex] has domain [tex]\left[-R,\, R\right].[/tex] Assume [tex]0\, \leq\, a\, \leq\, R.[/tex] We wish to evaluate the following integral:

. . . . .[tex]\displaystyle \int_0^a\, \sqrt{\strut R^2\, -\, x^2\,}\, dx[/tex]

(This corresponds to the shaded area in the graphic.)

Tragically, we do not know how to find an antiderivative for [tex]f(x).[/tex] We will learn this later in the course. Instead, evaluate the integral geometrically by splitting the shaded area into the area of a triangle (which is pretty easy) plus the area of a circular sector (which will entail an inverse trig function).

I tried to figure it out in some scribbles on the side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapel; 01-25-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Typing out the text in the graphic; creating useful subject line.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pleasehelp20 View Post
    If someone could explain how to do this problem (in detail please) or show me how, I would greatly appreciate it.

1-2. The function [tex]f(x)\, =\, \sqrt{\strut R^2\, -\, x^2\,}[/tex] has domain [tex]\left[-R,\, R\right].[/tex] Assume [tex]0\, \leq\, a\, \leq\, R.[/tex] We wish to evaluate the following integral:

. . . . .[tex]\displaystyle \int_0^a\, \sqrt{\strut R^2\, -\, x^2\,}\, dx[/tex]

(This corresponds to the shaded area in the graphic.)

Tragically, we do not know how to find an antiderivative for [tex]f(x).[/tex] We will learn this later in the course. Instead, evaluate the integral geometrically by splitting the shaded area into the area of a triangle (which is pretty easy) plus the area of a circular sector (which will entail an inverse trig function).

I tried to figure it out in some scribbles on the side.
    Did you find the two areas suggested? Let's see your result.
    Last edited by stapel; 01-25-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Copying typed-out graphical content into reply.
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

Quote Originally Posted by tkhunny View Post
    Did you find the two areas suggested? Let's see your result.
    I have not found either areas. I tried to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the area of the right triangle and the answer did not seem even remotely correct ( I got (a*(R^2-x^2)^1/2)/2) so I erased it. I also tried inverse sin to find the other area but I ended up getting the area R, which also did not seem right.

I tried to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the area of the right triangle and the answer did not seem even remotely correct ( I got (a*(R^2-x^2)^1/2)/2) so I erased it
    First, there is no need to post duplicate threads. Please read the forum guidelines.

Second, the Pythagorean Theorem does not find areas; it relates the three sides (a,b,c) of a right triangle. Symbol c is the length of the hypotenuse, and symbols a and b are the lengths of the legs.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

The area of a right triangle is found by formula:

Area = 1/2 base height

Can you see that the height is f(a)?

So, you have expressions for the base and height (in terms of R and a). Plug them into the area formula.
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

I would recommend using limits and sums to find the area under the curve.

This should help
    http://goblues.org/faculty/kollathl/...Rectangles.pdf

I got (a*(R^2-x^2)^1/2)/2
    Oh, this is so close.

I ought to have looked more carefully, last night. I think your statement about using Pythagoras for finding area threw me. Here's your result, rearranged just a bit, to eliminate those outer grouping symbols:

Area of right triangle = a/2*(R^2 - x^2)^(1/2)

Change one symbol, and it's correct! Again, the height of the triangle is f(a). You've used f(x) instead of f(a).

Quote Originally Posted by chris84567 View Post
    I would recommend using limits and sums to find the [shaded] area
    In this exercise, the instructions state the method that is to be used, and it's a geometrical approach dealing with the indicated right triangle and circular sector.

There's another geometrical approach (which I think is easier than dealing with the sector). That method takes half the difference between two circular segments.