Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Understand function slope in log-log space

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3

    Understand function slope in log-log space

    Hi math experts - trying to kick start my old math and log skills.

    A8467FC0-4639-4AA2-9127-09D3227C5D2D.jpg

    In the attached screenshot from Wikipedia the sRGB transfer function x^2.2 is plotted in log-log space (blue slope). How do I interpret interpret the y axis from the x values in the example?

    Also, in general what are the main applications for log-log space plots?

    Need to do my homework but hope for a pointer in the right direction.

    Thanks,

    Mikael

  2. #2
    Elite Member stapel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    15,844

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    A8467FC0-4639-4AA2-9127-09D3227C5D2D.jpg

    In the attached screenshot from Wikipedia the sRGB transfer function x^2.2 is plotted in log-log space (blue [curve]). How do I interpret interpret the y axis from the x values in the example?
    For what do the x-values stand? For what do the y-values stand? (I can't read the graphic; it's too tiny on my screen. Sorry.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    Also, in general what are the main applications for log-log space plots?
    For linearizing stuff that's growing fast (as, for instance, is illustrated here). You may find the articles in this listing to be helpful.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post
    For what do the x-values stand? For what do the y-values stand? (I can't read the graphic; it's too tiny on my screen. Sorry.)


    For linearizing stuff that's growing fast (as, for instance, is illustrated here). You may find the articles in this listing to be helpful.
    Thanks! See https://ibb.co/ddZx1w for high-res, my iphone must have screwed up the initial image 😬 x/y values better now?

    Will take a look at the links!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Elite Member stapel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    15,844

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    Thanks! See https://ibb.co/ddZx1w for high-res, my iphone must have screwed up the initial image 😬 x/y values better now?
    It looks like they're talking about monitor displays, RGB profiles, and gamma curves, which is all imaging stuff that's over my head. Maybe another helper is into that, and can explain what they're talking about.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post
    It looks like they're talking about monitor displays, RGB profiles, and gamma curves, which is all imaging stuff that's over my head. Maybe another helper is into that, and can explain what they're talking about.
    Skip the imaging, the x values gives x^2.2 on the right y axis while the left y axis is the same slope plotted in log-log space.

    So if I get things right, the right y scale is the log scale of the linear x axis for x^2.2?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •