Davied has less than one-half the number of balloons that kaite has .

mariam90

1. Davied has less than one-half the number of balloons that kaite has . If David has d balloons and kite has K balloons has ,which of the following equations correctly express the relationships between d and k.
a. d= 1/2 (k+4)
b. d= 1/2 (k-4)
c. d= 1/2 k+4
d.d= 1/2 k-4
e. d=2 k-4

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Davied has less than one-half the number of balloons that kaite has . If David has d balloons and kite has K balloons has ,which of the following equations correctly express the relationships between d and k.
a. d= 1/2 (k+4)
b. d= 1/2 (k-4)
c. d= 1/2 k+4
d.d= 1/2 k-4
e. d=2 k-4
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

a. d= 1/2 (k+4)
b. d= 1/2 (k-4)
c. d= 1/2 k+4
d.d= 1/2 k-4
e. d=2 k-4

I think you have copied the question incorrectly. Clearly you misspelled the names (so that each is spelled in two different ways); also you omitted a number, since as stated this would be an inequality ("__ is less than __"), not an equation ("__ is 4 less than __"). Copying incorrectly can make it impossible to solve a problem.

I think the correct question is this:

1. David has 4 less than one-half the number of balloons that Kate has . If David has d balloons and Kate has k balloons, which of the following equations correctly expresses the relationship between d and k?
a. d= 1/2 (k + 4)
b. d= 1/2 (k - 4)
c. d= 1/2 k + 4
d. d= 1/2 k - 4
e. d= 2k - 4

Is that correct?

Now, what do you think the answer might be, and why? By showing your thoughts, you give us a chance to identify where you are having trouble, and help you better. We don't just give answers.

For clarity, problem could be presented this way:

If d < k/2, which of the following equations correctly
express the relationships between d and k?
1: d = (1/2) * (k+4)
2: d = (1/2) * (k-4)
3: d = (1/2)*k + 4
4: d = (1/2)*k - 4
5: d = 2*k - 4

Unless I goofed up, 2 of the equations are applicable.

If I'm wrong about a 4 having been dropped from the question, then it is still worded incorrectly. None of the equations "correctly express the relationships"; two of them are possible relationships (that is, are compatible with the inequality), but we can't say that any of them are necessarily correct.

mariam90

sorry or replying late i have problem with internet connection i there any formula for solving this question i am confused between "a " and "d" .

After a couple coffees, I fully agree with "4" having been dropped
the way you describe it.
Results in d = k/2 - 4
Then only one of the 5 choices is correct.
Thanks Dr.P.

Denis can you explain it to me I am confused between b and d.

sorry or replying late i have problem with internet connection i there any formula for solving this question i am confused between "a " and "d" .

Can you confirm my guess that it really said this?

David has 4 less than one-half the number of balloons that Kate has . If David has d balloons and Kate has k balloons, which of the following equations correctly expresses the relationship between d and k?

Denis pointed out the difference in the symbols; to match that with the English, you need to look at how the words link together. You have:

David has 4 less than one-half the number of balloons that Kate has

That is,

d is 4 less than one-half of k

There is a subtraction (4 less) and a multiplication (1/2 of). Which should be done first?

Suppose you start with k. What will you do to find the value of d?

So, are you satisfied with the answer?

If not, please tell us your own thinking about it, so we can see whether you still need help with it.