The charge for the first quarter-mile of a taxi ride is $1.40, and the charge for....

I believe the point of these exercises is to gain familiarity with linear equations.

Please establish a linear equation for the first. There should be a constant term and another term that responds to "miles".

I believe the point of these exercises is to gain familiarity with linear equations.

Please establish a linear equation for the first. There should be a constant term and another term that responds to "miles".

I am preparing myself for SAT exam l need your help if someone explain it to me it will be very helpful to me to understand
l have problem to understand this kind of questions .

Please attempt to suggest how you arrived at your guess on the third one.

15% of z vs. 30% of z

Last edited by a moderator:
I am preparing myself for SAT exam l need your help if someone explain it to me it will be very helpful to me to understand
l have problem to understand this kind of questions .

If you have no idea at all how to do this, then you really should be going to a site the has lessons on the subject. A tutoring site works best if you show what you DO know, so we can give you the appropriate nudges, rather than try to teach you the whole subject from scratch.

For example, here is my nudge on the first question, based on the assumption that you just don't know how to start:

The charge for the first quarter-mile of a taxi ride is $1.40, and the charge for each additional quarter-mile is $0.20. If the total charge for a certain taxi ride is $5.00. what is the length of this ride, in miles?

First, if you want to do this just as an SAT problem (multiple choice), you could just take one of the choices and see what happens. You might take the choice in the middle, 5 1/2 miles, hoping to be able to figure out whether the right answer is higher and lower. If you're charged $1.40 for the first quarter mile, how many more quarter-miles do you have to go? What will be the charge for that? And so on.

Now, it pains me to even suggest using that approach, because it means you're not learning any algebra from the experience. It happens, though, that in the process of trying one value, you will be learning how the problem works, which can help you write an equation. Here's what you do next:

Suppose this time that you are riding x miles. If you're charged $1.40 for the first quarter mile, how many more quarter-miles do you have to go? What will be the charge for that? And so on.

You're doing the same thinking, just writing expressions rather than numbers; and the result will be an equation.

So, let's see what your thoughts are for that first problem, and we can see how big a nudge you still need.