Complicated beam: slope, deflection at ends & at 3.8 m from left end

Aaronmooy47

I am struggling with a beam question and need some help (please see attached picture for the problem)

I have integrated the initial moment equation twice to get my slope and deflection but I cannot seem to get my head around how it then becomes a simoultaneous equation to solve for a and b.

Can anybody please show me how it is done for this particular example.

Attachments

• 7F486F30-9A4D-41C1-BD0C-4787216E218E.jpg
    7F486F30-9A4D-41C1-BD0C-4787216E218E.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 9
I am struggling with a beam question and need some help (please see attached picture for the problem)

I have integrated the initial moment equation twice to get my slope and deflection but I cannot seem to get my head around how it then becomes a simoultaneous equation to solve for a and b.

Can anybody please show me how it is done for this particular example.

What is it that you need to solve for this beam?

This beam has multiple zones - and your deflection (and slope) function will be "piece-wise continuous". Are you familiar with that process of solution?

What is it that you need to solve for this beam?

This beam has multiple zones - and your deflection (and slope) function will be "piece-wise continuous". Are you familiar with that process of solution?

The question asks to find the slope and the deflection at either end and at 3.8m from the left end, I understand how to do this it is just the simultaneous equation part I do not understand to find a and b

The question asks to find the slope and the deflection at either end and at 3.8m from the left end, I understand how to do this it is just the simultaneous equation part I do not understand to find a and b
Is this a "Mechanics of Materials" class?

Which text-book are you following for this class?

it is a mechanical principles class and I have no idea what textbook it is, it was just a question that was set in class
What is the name of the textbook (and the author of the book) that you follow in the class?

Ive told you I don’t know, why does it matter? You either know how to find a and b through simultaneous equations or you don’t
It does matter!

There are several ways to solve the problem.

I was hoping that I could point you to a similar example problem in your text-book so that you can solve the problem your-self.

I teach this subject and I have several textbooks where there are example problems worked out. My hope was that I could point you to ne such example problem.

Anyway, good luck.....

I can't read your attachment. The forum software must reduce over-sized images, to fit them in the post frame. (Check the size limits, by file extension, while in the file-attachment dialog box.)

:idea: Instead of one big image, it might display better as three smaller (cropped and rotated) images.

This is what I currently see:

blur62.JPG