Can anyone solve this? "A pie graph has 4 unequal slices representing a sample..."

Mathcheater

Can anyone solve this? "A pie graph has 4 unequal slices representing a sample..."

A pie graph has 4 unequal slices representing a sample of ‘n’ people to test their favourite soft drink. Eight more people join the sample and three fourths of them choose Fanta as their favourite soft drink. This result makes the fanta slice increase to 54% of total chart. How many people were initially in the sample?

6 is 3/4 of 8.

Some/n is the original proportion.

(Some + 6)/(n + 8) = 0.54 -- The new proportion.

Does this get us anywhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

6 is 3/4 of 8.

Some/n is the original proportion.

(Some + 6)/(n + 8) = 0.54 -- The new proportion.

Does this get us anywhere?
I also did that, but could not get any further. I feel like I need 2 equations, but I only have one.

Please help some more?I AM starting to lose my soul

Last edited by a moderator:
I also did that, but could not get any further.
Okay; that is why we ask posters please to show their work. From your first post, can you see that we had no way of knowing that you'd actually made progress toward a solution?

Please reply showing how you defined your variable(s), and the reasoning you used to create your one posted equation.

I feel like I need 2 equations, but I only have one.
Try using the same reasoning as you used for your first equation (being the one related to "Fanta first") applies to everything else. For instance, if "Fanta first" is represented by "x" for the number of people in the initial group, then "x + (3/4)(8)" represents the number of people in the second group. If "anything other than Fanta first" is represented by "y" for the number of people in the initial group, then what expression represents the number of people in the second group? What ratio represents their proportion? What equation states their percentage?

And so forth. Please be complete. Thank you! :wink: