Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Special Right Trinagle: "...Clay Ave, Rt 35 are straight, perp. to each other."

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1

    Question Special Right Trinagle: "...Clay Ave, Rt 35 are straight, perp. to each other."

    Hello! I understand how to apply the 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 triangle ratios; however, I do not understand how these streets are in relation to each other. A drawing or any help would be appreciated!

    "You live on the corner of Clay Ave and Main St. You drive from your apartment due south 9.9 mi on Main St, then due west 13.2 mi on State St to the corner of Clay Ave and Rt 35. You turn left, then head for a store at the intersection of Rt 35 and Main St, then take Main St home from the store. Clay Ave and Rt 35 are straight and perpendicular to one another."

    I cannot visualize this. Thanks for your help :)

  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,283
    Quote Originally Posted by magn View Post
    Hello! I understand how to apply the 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 triangle ratios; however, I do not understand how these streets are in relation to each other. A drawing or any help would be appreciated!

    "You live on the corner of Clay Ave and Main St. You drive from your apartment due south 9.9 mi on Main St, then due west 13.2 mi on State St to the corner of Clay Ave and Rt 35. You turn left, then head for a store at the intersection of Rt 35 and Main St, then take Main St home from the store. Clay Ave and Rt 35 are straight and perpendicular to one another."

    I cannot visualize this. Thanks for your help
    Why not draw one road at a time?

    "9.9 m south on Main" -- Okay, then Main is North-South and Clay is East-West. Draw those and indicate your apartment at the intersection.

    Next clue?
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by tkhunny View Post
    Why not draw one road at a time?

    "9.9 m south on Main" -- Okay, then Main is North-South and Clay is East-West. Draw those and indicate your apartment at the intersection.

    Next clue?
    Just make sure that only "Clay Ave and Rt 35 are straight and perpendicular to one another." The rest could be curved, slanted, etc.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    106
    What do you need to find in the problem?

  5. #5
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    17,071
    Quote Originally Posted by magn View Post
    "You live on the corner of Clay Ave and Main St.
    Lev, so a "corner" (geometry) is not always 90 degrees?
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    Lev, so a "corner" (geometry) is not always 90 degrees?
    I don't see why we need to assume this. If all streets are straight and all intersections are 90 degrees we get a contradiction:
    Main and Rt 35 are normal to Clay, therefore Main and Rt 35 are parallel. And yet there is a "store at the intersection of Rt 35 and Main St".


  7. #7
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    17,071
    Where's my bottle of Extra Strength Tylenols!
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

  8. #8
    Elite Member mmm4444bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    9,347
    Quote Originally Posted by tkhunny View Post
    then Main is North-South and Clay is East-West
    I don't see how Clay Ave can run East-West. Clay is perpendicular to Rt 35, and Main St intersects both of those roads.
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

  9. #9
    Elite Member mmm4444bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    9,347
    I forgot to draw a compass point, but North points up, so West points to the left:

    Rt35_&_Clay.jpg
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

  10. #10
    Elite Member mmm4444bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    9,347
    Quote Originally Posted by lev888 View Post
    The [roads other than Clay Ave and Rt 35] could be curved, slanted, etc.
    Maybe, but we don't actually have the question-part of the exercise, yet. Answering the question may require an interpretation with straight line-segments only (eg: triangles).
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •