Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Given five drawn shapes in a sequence, infer the next shape...?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    46

    Given five drawn shapes in a sequence, infer the next shape...?

    Several.
    Last edited by bennyJ; 04-23-2018 at 01:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Elite Member mmm4444bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    AZ, Seattle, San Diego
    Posts
    9,782
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyJ View Post
    Several identical cubes are fused to form a solid object. Given the following five views of such an object, draw the sixth.



    Look for a pattern, reading from left to right. What has happened to the first shape, to create the second?
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm4444bot View Post
    Look for a pattern, reading from left to right. What has happened to the first shape, to create the second?
    I think these are 5 projections of a 3D object along one of the axes, and we need to draw the last one.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by lev888 View Post
    I think these are 5 projections of a 3D object along one of the axes, and we need to draw the last one.
    Yes, this somehow is supposed to make a 3-D object. Do we know what the object will look like once constructed?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyJ View Post
    Yes, this somehow is supposed to make a 3-D object. Do we know what the object will look like once constructed?
    That's what you need to figure out to determine what the last projection is. I would start with grouping the views into pairs (2 directions for each axis).

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by lev888 View Post
    That's what you need to figure out to determine what the last projection is. I would start with grouping the views into pairs (2 directions for each axis).
    I get that the second and third are related and the fourth and fifth are related. So, I'm guessing the sixth, unknown shape will resemble the first shape somehow. i'm just not certain exactly how it will look.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm4444bot View Post
    Look for a pattern, reading from left to right. What has happened to the first shape, to create the second?
    You could get the second piece from the first by simply moving that little piece on the first piece to the right to make it a square and then rotating the whole thing 90 degrees, but I think @lev888 is right.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •