Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Given five drawn shapes in a sequence, infer the next shape...?

Given five drawn shapes in a sequence, infer the next shape...?

Several.
    Last edited by bennyJ; 04-23-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyJ View Post
    Several identical cubes are fused to form a solid object. Given the following five views of such an object, draw the sixth.

Look for a pattern, reading from left to right. What has happened to the first shape, to create the second?
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

Quote Originally Posted by mmm4444bot View Post
    Look for a pattern, reading from left to right. What has happened to the first shape, to create the second?
    I think these are 5 projections of a 3D object along one of the axes, and we need to draw the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm4444bot View Post
    You could get the second piece from the first by simply moving that little piece on the first piece to the right to make it a square and then rotating the whole thing 90 degrees, but I think @lev888 is right.

Quote Originally Posted by lev888 View Post
    I think these are 5 projections of a 3D object along one of the axes, and we need to draw the last one.
    Yes, this somehow is supposed to make a 3-D object. Do we know what the object will look like once constructed?

Yes, this somehow is supposed to make a 3-D object. Do we know what the object will look like once constructed?
    That's what you need to figure out to determine what the last projection is. I would start with grouping the views into pairs (2 directions for each axis).

That's what you need to figure out to determine what the last projection is. I would start with grouping the views into pairs (2 directions for each axis).
    I get that the second and third are related and the fourth and fifth are related. So, I'm guessing the sixth, unknown shape will resemble the first shape somehow. i'm just not certain exactly how it will look.

I get that the second and third are related and the fourth and fifth are related. So, I'm guessing the sixth, unknown shape will resemble the first shape somehow. i'm just not certain exactly how it will look.
    I agree. Although there's something not quite right with 4 and 5.
    If you see a rectangle that's 2 "fused" cubes. If there is a line in the middle, there is another cube in front.

I agree. Although there's something not quite right with 4 and 5.
    If you see a rectangle that's 2 "fused" cubes. If there is a line in the middle, there is another cube in front.
    The use of the word "cubes" in the question is kinda throwing me off. A cube by definition is symmetrical and comprised of six equal squares and it's hard to see how the given pieces smoothly form "identical cubes" to be fused into some larger "object," whatever shape that might take.

Whoops -- I had jumped directly from the subject line to the image, so I missed the six cubes.

These are side/top/bottom views of an object constructed by joining six identical cubes together. Also, I suspect that the five given views are not necessarily oriented in any way.

I think that a rectangle signifies two adjacent cubes located the same distance from the viewer. In other words, the faces of these two cubes form a rectangle because each face lies in the same plane. (There could be another cube behind the rectangle, in a view.) But a square next to a rectangle indicates that the face we see as the square lies at a different distance (closer or farther) than the cubes forming the rectangle.

Looking at #5, there are three cubes whose faces are at the same distance, and there are two other cubes whose faces are at a different distance. Where is the sixth cube? I think I can imagine its position, to render the other given viewpoints.

If I'm correct, the missing view will look like an L-shape, with a square attached to one of its longer sides.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 02-15-2018 at 01:57 AM. Reason: typo; grammar
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969