Traffic Light Probability Problem

marko12345

Hello, part of my math paper involves calculating the probability of stopping at a red light, where the light is red for 27.5 seconds, and then green for 36 seconds. This seems simple enough, but I am adding the condition that you are driving for 13.68 seconds in the stretch of road before the traffic light, which I think would change the probabilities, but I am not sure how. So my question is, given that you are on a stretch of road where traffic is subject to being manipulated by a traffic light for 13.68 seconds, where the traffic light is red for 27.5 seconds and green for 36 seconds, what is the probability of stopping at least once?

Thanks! :D

Okay, first tell me why 13.68 seconds matters? If you pull up to the light, does it matter if you have been driving on that stretch for 1 sec or for 3 hours?

...given that you are on a stretch of road where traffic is subject to being manipulated by a traffic light for 13.68 seconds, where the traffic light is red for 27.5 seconds and green for 36 seconds, what is the probability of stopping at least once?
If the light is actually "manipulated" by somebody driving over some sensor about an eighth of a mile away (assuming the driver never slows), then the fixed times listed above cannot actually be fixed.

Please reply with the full and exact text of the exercise, the complete instructions, and any other necessary information, such as precisely how they set up this portion of your project. Thank you! ;)