Formula: Median, Mode, Range question

captainbrit1

Hi, I don't have a clue where to post this, so apologies if it's in the wrong place. Please could somebody help me of the formaula to work out this question:

'Three schools recorded statistics relating to the number of years of service of their teachers':

SCHOOL MEDIAN MODE RANGE
A 10 8 13
B 14 11 20
C 18 20 15

Indicate all the true statements:

1. In school A, there were no teachers with more than 22 years of service.
2. Some teachers in school C had less than 5 years of service.
3. There is at least one teacher with more than 19 years of service in school B.
-------

I understand mode, median, range and mean - I just don't know how to work this question out without having the data to hand first. I am normally expected to find the mode, range and median from a set of data, but this is somewhat reversed! I know the answer is A and C, but since I will have other questions to ask like this, I need a formula to help me in the future - thank you!

Hi, I don't have a clue where to post this, so apologies if it's in the wrong place. Please could somebody help me of the formaula to work out this question:

'Three schools recorded statistics relating to the number of years of service of their teachers':

SCHOOL MEDIAN MODE RANGE
A 10 8 13
B 14 11 20
C 18 20 15

Indicate all the true statements:

1. In school A, there were no teachers with more than 22 years of service.
2. Some teachers in school C had less than 5 years of service.
3. There is at least one teacher with more than 19 years of service in school B.
-------

I understand mode, median, range and mean - I just don't know how to work this question out without having the data to hand first. I am normally expected to find the mode, range and median from a set of data, but this is somewhat reversed! I know the answer is A and C, but since I will have other questions to ask like this, I need a formula to help me in the future - thank you!

These are not formula-type questions! They require you to think, based on your understanding about how these statistics work.

For example, you are asked about school A, whether you can conclude that there were no teachers with more than 22 years of service. You might approach this by supposing that one teacher has 23 years of service, and seeing if that would lead to a contradiction. What would the range tell you about the one with fewest years?

Or, you might take it directly, thinking about what you can conclude about the greatest number in the set, given that 10 is either the middle number or between two middle numbers, and that 8 is one of the numbers. How does the range combine with those facts to tell you something about the highest number?

school
median
mode
range
A
B
C