Thread: Solving heat flux equation: q(x,t) = -k(x) I(t) (dT/dx), for x>=0, t>=0

Solving heat flux equation: q(x,t) = -k(x) I(t) (dT/dx), for x>=0, t>=0

The heat flux through an infinitely-long cable at time t is given by:

. . .[tex]q(x,\,t)\, =\, -k(x)\, I(t)\, \dfrac{dT}{dx},\quad x\, \geq\, 0,\, t\, \geq\, 0[/tex]

where [tex]k(x)\, >\, 0[/tex] is the heat conductivity function of the cable, [tex]T(x)[/tex] is the temperature profile, and [tex]I(t)[/tex] is the heat dissipation as a function of time. Consider the definition of the flux [tex]q(x,\, t)[/tex] above at a fixed time instant [tex]t\, =\, 1[/tex] and:

. . .[tex]k(x)\, =\, x^3[/tex]

. . .[tex]I(t)\, =\, 1\, +\, \dfrac{1}{1\, +\, e^{-t}}[/tex]

. . .[tex]T(x)\, =\, \log\left(2x^2\, +\, 3x\, +\, 1\right)[/tex]

Suppose that a valid approximation of the flux at [tex]t\, =\, 1[/tex] near [tex]x\, =\, 4[/tex] is given by:

. . .[tex]\bar{q}(x)\, =\, c_0\, +\, c_1\, (x\, -\, 4)\, +\, c_2\, (x\, -\, 4)^2[/tex]

for some real coefficients [tex]c_0,\, c_1,[/tex] and [tex]c_2.[/tex] Compute [tex]\bar{q}(3).[/tex]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapel; 03-14-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Typing out the text in the graphic; creating useful subject line.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lfc02 View Post
    The heat flux through an infinitely-long cable at time t is given by:

. . .[tex]q(x,\,t)\, =\, -k(x)\, I(t)\, \dfrac{dT}{dx},\quad x\, \geq\, 0,\, t\, \geq\, 0[/tex]

where [tex]k(x)\, >\, 0[/tex] is the heat conductivity function of the cable, [tex]T(x)[/tex] is the temperature profile, and [tex]I(t)[/tex] is the heat dissipation as a function of time. Consider the definition of the flux [tex]q(x,\, t)[/tex] above at a fixed time instant [tex]t\, =\, 1[/tex] and:

. . .[tex]k(x)\, =\, x^3[/tex]

. . .[tex]I(t)\, =\, 1\, +\, \dfrac{1}{1\, +\, e^{-t}}[/tex]

. . .[tex]T(x)\, =\, \log\left(2x^2\, +\, 3x\, +\, 1\right)[/tex]

Suppose that a valid approximation of the flux at [tex]t\, =\, 1[/tex] near [tex]x\, =\, 4[/tex] is given by:

. . .[tex]\bar{q}(x)\, =\, c_0\, +\, c_1\, (x\, -\, 4)\, +\, c_2\, (x\, -\, 4)^2[/tex]

for some real coefficients [tex]c_0,\, c_1,[/tex] and [tex]c_2.[/tex] Compute [tex]\bar{q}(3).[/tex]

W
    hat are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33
    Last edited by stapel; 03-14-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Copying typed-out graphical content into reply.
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell