Thread: Transversal Challenge problem

Transversal Challenge problem

https://docs.google.com/drawings/u/1...454&rev=3&ac=1

Hey, so I have the above problem and I am at a loss of how to finish solving the problem. I am supposed to identify all the values of the numbered angles but I am stuck.

I know angle 1, 4, & 5 are all 60deg using the vertical angle theorem and alternate interior angles, but after that I am stuck.

I know angle 2 & 3 add together to be 120deg. can it be assumed that it is split evenly?

Can someone give me some advice as how to keep moving forward because I am stuck. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jlerig; 02-22-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlerig View Post
    https://docs.google.com/drawings/u/1...454&rev=3&ac=1

Hey, so I have the above problem and I am at a loss of how to finish solving the problem. I am supposed to identify all the values of the numbered angles but I am stuck.

I know angle 1, 4, & 5 are all 60deg using the vertical angle theorem and alternate interior angles, but after that I am stuck.

I know angle 2 & 3 add together to be 120deg. can it be assumed that it is split evenly?

Can someone give me some advice as how to keep moving forward because I am stuck. Thanks.
    Unless there is additional information given, it is impossible to determine angles 2, 3, 6, 7, 8. You can't just assume 2 and 3 are equal unless you are told, say, that line d bisects the angle. As it is, there is nothing to determine the direction of line d.

Can you quote the exact wording of the problem?

(The link at the top is not accessible without permission; all I see is the picture you attached.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Peterson View Post
    Unless there is additional information given, it is impossible to determine angles 2, 3, 6, 7, 8. You can't just assume 2 and 3 are equal unless you are told, say, that line d bisects the angle. As it is, there is nothing to determine the direction of line d.

Can you quote the exact wording of the problem?

(The link at the top is not accessible without permission; all I see is the picture you attached.)
    Thank you, I will reach out to my teacher. The only directions were "Find the values of the labeled angles."