Two Linear Equations: "Many students bought prom tickets in advance for $2 each...."

knhall1

Two Linear Equations: "Many students bought prom tickets in advance for $2 each...."

"Many students bought prom tickets in advance for $2 each. Other students bought tickets at the door for $5 each. In all, 127 students attended the dance and $500 was the total for all tickets sales. How many students bought advanced tickets?"

I need help with getting started with the problem. I don't know which parts of the word problem I need to put into an equation and I also have to use substitution. Please help.

"Many students bought prom tickets in advance for $2 each. Other students bought tickets at the door for $5 each. In all, 127 students attended the dance and $500 was the total for all tickets sales. How many students bought advanced tickets?"

I need help with getting started with the problem. I don't know which parts of the word problem I need to put into an equation and I also have to use substitution. Please help.
First decide - what do you need to FIND? - Find # of students that bought advance ticket.

Start with naming variables:

# of Students that bought advanced tickets = A

and

# of Students that bought door tickets = D

Then we have:

A + D = 127

continue...

To learn how to set up and solve this sort of "mixture" exercise, please try here. Then apply the method explained there to the variables and equation provided earlier, and create a second equation. Then solve the system.

If you get stuck, please reply showing how far you have gotten, starting with what the previous reply provided you. Thank you! ;)