Thread: is there a difference between derivative of a function and derivative at a point?

is there a difference between derivative of a function and derivative at a point?

is there a difference between the derivative of a function and the derivative at a point? If so please explain to me what it is

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_ View Post
    is there a difference between the derivative of a function and the derivative at a point? If so please explain to me what it is
    A derivative of a function is a function everywhere it exists. It is not a single value, but represents all possible values.

A derivative of a single variable function, at a particular point, can be interpreted as the slope of the function at that point. It is a single value.

Why do you ask? What has caused you to ask this question?
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_ View Post
    The derivative of a function is a function. The derivative at a point is a numeric value.