Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discrete Math: In how many ways can 30 ident. balls be put in 7 distinct boxes, s.t.

Oh dear. I seem to have majorly messed up here. Sorry about that. Upon further reflection I see now that my proposed solution of 730 would only be valid if the balls were in some way distinguishable from one another (like if, say, they were numbered). However, that's not the case in this problem. I agree with the others that sita's solution of 36C6 is correct. Again, I do sincerely apologize for my mistake. I hope I didn't sow too much confusion.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j-astron View Post
    JeffM: for the 5 ball, 3 box version, I think you forgot

18 + 3 = 21 = (7 choose 2)
    Yes I did. So that answer was wrong too. However, in that case, I shall not delete it because that would leave your correcting post without context.

Cool

A bit off-topic, but:

I want to say a big "Thank you!" to all responders in this thread for being clear and complete, for kindly suggesting corrections, and for honorably admitting errors. This decent kind of give-and-take is a big part of what makes this forum so enjoyable and helpful! Again, thank you!

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post
    A bit off-topic, but:

I want to say a big "Thank you!" to all responders in this thread for being clear and complete, for kindly suggesting corrections, and for honorably admitting errors. This decent kind of give-and-take is a big part of what makes this forum so enjoyable and helpful! Again, thank you!
    I truly appreciate your kind words. Of course I wish that I had not needed to be one to admit that my answers were completely insane. But my wife says that I should be grateful for my rare moments of sanity.