Thread: Help me solve (1-2x)/(2x+1) + (x^2+3x)/(4x^2-1) [div] (3+x)/(4x+2)

Exclamation Help me solve (1-2x)/(2x+1) + (x^2+3x)/(4x^2-1) [div] (3+x)/(4x+2)

Please help me solve this equation for x:

. . . . .[tex]\dfrac{1\, -\, 2x}{2x\, +\, 1}\, +\, \dfrac{x^2\, +\, 3x}{4x^2\, -\, 1}\, \div\, \dfrac{3\, +\, x}{4x\, +\, 2}[/tex]

Thanks so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapel; 03-03-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Typing out the text in the graphic; creating useful subject line.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leap2004 View Post

. . . . .[tex]\dfrac{1\, -\, 2x}{2x\, +\, 1}\, +\, \dfrac{x^2\, +\, 3x}{4x^2\, -\, 1}\, \div\, \dfrac{3\, +\, x}{4x\, +\, 2}[/tex]

Thanks so much.
    1) Not an equation. Click that link you accidentally created (inside your post) and read more on that.

2) The general idea on such a ponderous expression is to factor every piece of it, try to rewrite it in a useful fashion, and see what factors you can eliminate.

Let's see where you go with it.
    Last edited by stapel; 03-03-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Copying typed-out graphical content into reply.
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by leap2004 View Post

We'll be glad to help you "simplify" this "expression"! But we'll first need to see where you're having trouble. So please reply with a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far, starting with the flipping of the one fraction to convert the division to multiplication, and then showing your factorisations. Thank you!