Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Find all angles

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by happiness View Post
    The 70,30, and 29 they're the angle measures for the quadralateral angle and the 3,2, and 1 are variables.
    So, for clarity's sake, let's use actual variables, rather than numbers. So the drawing should look something like the following?

Code:
    nested triangles:

/\
             /70\
            /    \
           /      \
          /        \
         /          \
        /     ..     \
       /30  .' C'.  29\
      /  .'        '.  \
     /.' A          B '.\
    The 2, and 1 refer to the smaller triangle angle measures. It's a quadrilateral...
    "The smaller triangle" cannot be "a quadrilateral". Triangles have three sides; quadrilaterals have four.

...somehow the 3 is an angle of the larger angle...
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand what this means...? How does your textbook define "an angle of another angle"?

...making the larger triangle have 4 angles that add up to 360.
    "The larger triangle" cannot "have 4 angles that add up to 360". No triangle can have these properties.

Please reply with clarification. Thank you!

The left bottom angle is 10y+2

The right 4 angles from top to bottom are 10y+2, 6x+18, 10y+2, 3x+9y.
    And so forth.

You can create a system of equations and solve then for x and y. Then, you can find all angles.
    Last edited by stapel; 03-07-2018 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Copying rest of post from subject line into actual post.

Find each angle

Given line g is parallel to line h, find each angle. I don't know how to do thks, please show steps to solving. I do know parallel angles postulates.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Given line g is parallel to line h, find each angle. I don't know how to do thks, please show steps to solving. I do know parallel angles postulates.

Presumably this exercise came with a picture; without seeing that, it is impossible for anyone to help!

Can you at least describe the picture, if you can't attach it, telling us where all the labeled angles are?

Cool

Okay; I've made great efforts to get you to tell us what the actual exercise is, and have created a "graphic" that people can see:

Quote Originally Posted by stapel
    So, for clarity's sake, let's use actual variables, rather than numbers. So the drawing should look something like the following?

Code:
    lines:

6x+18 /
    G -->>-------/----
          10y+2 /
               /
        3x+9y /
    H -------/--->>---
            /
    The lines G and H are parallel (indicated by the ">>" notation), the slanty line is a transversal, "6x + 18" and "10y + 2" do not form a fraction, and you are needing to use angle rules to create equations that you can solve for the values of "x" and "y"...?

Assuming so, where are you stuck? You used the straight-line angle sum rule to create an equation from the top two expressions. You used some other rule to create a second equation using the first and third expressions, you simplified to get a system of two equations in two unknowns, applied whatever method they've given you for solving systems of linear equations, and... then what?
    You have yet to answer the clarifying questions. I gave you "hints" for the steps to take, assuming my guesses as to your reasoning were correct, and you made no response, but then re-posted this question as a new thread (which I've now merged with the original thread).

Are you going to follow any of the "hints" you've been given? Or are you waiting for somebody to give you the complete hand-in solution?

Find all angles

Sorry stapel, yma and Dr.Peterson for the confusion. Ignore the pencil writings. Given line g is parallel to line h, how do you find each angle? Please do step-by-step instructions, thanks.

Sorry stapel, yma and Dr.Peterson for the confusion. Ignore the pencil writings. Given line g is parallel to line h, how do you find each angle? Please do step-by-step instructions, thanks.

I know the parallel lines postulates as well. e.g. alternative interior, same side, corresponding.

I know the parallel lines postulates as well. e.g. alternative interior, same side, corresponding.

You are given expressions for three angles. Which two of those angles are congruent? Write an equation expressing that fact.

How is the third angle related to the others? Write a second equation expressing that fact.

You now have a system of two equations in two unknowns, which you can solve for x and y.

Cool

We already did this. Please study the replies you've been given in the two previous threads you started on this exercise (which have been merged now into one thread). Once again:

I created this clear and legible "drawing" for you:

Code:
    lines:

6x+18 /
    G -->>-------/----
          10y+2 /
               /
        3x+9y /
    H -------/--->>---
            /
    Then I suggested:

(i) I said to use the straight-line angle-sum rule to create an equation. To which angle expressions would this rule apply? What equation can you create from this? When you simplify this (to get the variable terms on one side of the "equals" sign and the plain number on the other), what do you get?

(ii) You can use the corresponding-angles rule to create another equation. To which angle expressions would this rule apply? What equation can you create from this? When you simplify this (to get the variable terms on one side of the "equals" sign and the plain number on the other), what do you get?

(iii) You now have a system of two equations in two unknowns. What do you get when you solve this system?

Please reply showing your work on this exercise, when you follow the step-by-step instructions. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    Boy oh boy...sure sounds as if you're joking...
    May I ask, so we know HOW to answer/help you:
    are you a student attending math classes?
    Yes, I am a student in 9th grade accelerated geometry.