Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Quadratic Simultaneous Eqns: ""J and T share money. If I square J's money and add..."

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    23

    Quadratic Simultaneous Eqns: ""J and T share money. If I square J's money and add..."

    Hi all

    Can someone give me a hint on how to solve the below please?

    "Jim and Tim are sharing money. If I square Jim's money and add on Tim's, I get 10,050. If I square Tim's money and add on Jim's, I get 2,600. How much money does each have?"

    Thanks in advance

    Regards

    Jim

  2. #2
    Elite Member stapel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    15,925

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim77 View Post
    Can someone give me a hint on how to solve the below please?

    "Jim and Tim are sharing money. If I square Jim's money and add on Tim's, I get 10,050. If I square Tim's money and add on Jim's, I get 2,600. How much money does each have?"
    A good place to start would probably be with picking variables to stand for the unknowns. What variables did you pick, and how did you define them?

    Thank you!

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    23
    j^2 + t = 10,050
    t^2 + j = 2,600

  4. #4
    Elite Member stapel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    15,925

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim77 View Post
    j^2 + t = 10,050
    t^2 + j = 2,600
    Okay; you've jumped ahead to equations. These equations contain the variables "j" and "t". From the way you've used the variables, I believe you defined them as follows:

    . . .variables:
    . . . . .Tim's money: t
    . . . . .Jim's money: j

    If this is correct, then your equations look to be accurate reflections of the relationships given in the exercise.

    So now you have two equations in two unknowns. What method(s) have you been taught for solving systems of non-linear equations? For instance, are you familiar with "substitution"? If you are, how might that tool be applied to this system? Where does this lead?

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    23
    Rearrange the second equation to give:

    j = 2600 - T^2


    Is this correct?

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    23
    anyone?

  7. #7
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim77 View Post
    Rearrange the second equation to give:

    j = 2600 - T^2


    Is this correct?
    Yes, this is correct.

    This allows you to restate the other equation how?

    By the way, most of the volunteers here, who are paid not a penny, live in North America, which is at least 5 hours behind time in the UK and may be 10 hours behind. Unpaid volunteers are not necessarily going to leap from bed on a Sunday morning to work on math problems.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    By the way, most of the volunteers here, who are paid not a penny, live in North America, which is at least 5 hours behind time in the UK and may be 10 hours behind. Unpaid volunteers are not necessarily going to leap from bed on a Sunday morning to work on math problems.
    Apparently so...

    so (2600 - t^2)^2 + t = 10,050

    Is this correct?

    This is where I have no idea on how to solve for t...

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim77 View Post
    j^2 + t = 10,050
    t^2 + j = 2,600
    I didn't get far using substitution. Try subtracting the second equation from the first.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I didn't get far using substitution. Try subtracting the second equation from the first.
    Sorry could you expand on that a little bit please?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •