Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Discrete Math: coin is flipped, die rolled; E_1 is "coin shows head", E_2 is "die..."

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    24

    Discrete Math: coin is flipped, die rolled; E_1 is "coin shows head", E_2 is "die..."

    1. Suppose that a coin is flipped and die is rolled. Let E1 denote the event "the coin shows a head", let E2 denote the event "the die shows a 3", and let E3 denote the event "the coin shows a tail and the die shows an odd number".

    (a) List the elements of [tex]E_1,\, E_2,\, E_3,\, E_1\, \cup\, E_2,\, E_2\, \cap\, E_3,\, \bar{E}_1[/tex]

    (b) Are E1 and E2 mutually exclusive?

    (c) Are E1 and E3 mutually exclusive?





    Can someone help me with this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapel; 03-07-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Typing out the text in the graphic; creating useful subject line.

  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    17,891
    Quote Originally Posted by sita View Post
    1. Suppose that a coin is flipped and die is rolled. Let E1 denote the event "the coin shows a head", let E2 denote the event "the die shows a 3", and let E3 denote the event "the coin shows a tail and the die shows an odd number".

    (a) List the elements of [tex]E_1,\, E_2,\, E_3,\, E_1\, \cup\, E_2,\, E_2\, \cap\, E_3,\, \bar{E}_1[/tex]

    (b) Are E1 and E2 mutually exclusive?

    (c) Are E1 and E3 mutually exclusive?





    Can someone help me with this?
    What are your thoughts?

    Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

    If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

    You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

    http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33
    Last edited by stapel; 03-07-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Copying typed-out graphical content into reply.
    ď... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different wordsĒ - B. Russell

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by sita View Post
    1. Suppose that a coin is flipped and die is rolled. Let E1 denote the event "the coin shows a head", let E2 denote the event "the die shows a 3", and let E3 denote the event "the coin shows a tail and the die shows an odd number".

    (a) List the elements of [tex]E_1,\, E_2,\, E_3,\, E_1\, \cup\, E_2,\, E_2\, \cap\, E_3,\, \bar{E}_1[/tex]

    (b) Are E1 and E2 mutually exclusive?

    (c) Are E1 and E3 mutually exclusive?


    Attachment 38551


    Can someone help me with this?
    Can someone help me with this?
    If you can't do any (I did not say all!) of part a, then maybe you need to be in a lower class. With a solid background you can then even ace out this class. Please understand that this comment is in your best interest. It's better to take a course when you are ready to take it then when you are ill prepared. EVERYONE has a math course that they are NOT well prepared to take--yet!.
    Last edited by stapel; 03-07-2018 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Copying typed-out graphical content into reply.
    A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isnít there. - Charles R. Darwin

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Subhotosh Khan View Post
    download.jpg
    What are your thoughts?

    Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

    If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

    You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

    http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33
    Let me know if i'm doing it right:


  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomo View Post
    If you can't do any (I did not say all!) of part a, then maybe you need to be in a lower class. With a solid background you can then even ace out this class. Please understand that this comment is in your best interest. It's better to take a course when you are ready to take it then when you are ill prepared. EVERYONE has a math course that they are NOT well prepared to take--yet!.
    Check my working out and tell me your opinion

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by sita View Post
    Check my working out and tell me your opinion
    Sorry but you have the wrong answers for E1 and for E2.

    So clearly you do not know how to write out any outcome. Do not worry we will get you through this.For now please forget aboutE1, E2 etc. Can you please write out any outcome? How about another outcome. One more please.

    Once you understand what an outcome looks like you will be able to answer E1 and for E2.

    Hint: If you were recording the outcomes of flipping a coin and rolling a die what might you record?
    A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isnít there. - Charles R. Darwin

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by sita View Post
    Attachment 9243
    What justifications would you make for the answer?
    All looks good to me. Good job!!
    A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isnít there. - Charles R. Darwin

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •