"Compute the value of S as an element of set R" I don't understand...

njc_

Hello,

I'm working on a summation/set notation question as a part of a tutorial but don't understand the second part of the question (below). I have written the sum of S using summation notation but I don't know what is meant by "Compute the value of S as an element of set R". If anyone can clarify what is meant here, I would greatly appreciate it :)

Question:
Consider the following sum,
S =
(4 - 2^3) + (4 - 4^3) + (4 - 6^3) + ... + (4 - 12^3)
Write the sum S in summation notation using the symbol (sigma), and compute the value of S as an element of R.

In so far as the first part of the question, I came up with
bb52c8e681e6979dd82860ee7dfd208d.png
. Which I believe to be correct, but I don't understand what else I am required to write out/display to satisfy the question.

Hello,

I'm working on a summation/set notation question as a part of a tutorial but don't understand the second part of the question (below). I have written the sum of S using summation notation but I don't know what is meant by "Compute the value of S as an element of set R". If anyone can clarify what is meant here, I would greatly appreciate it :)

Question:
S =
Write the sum S in summation notation using the symbol (sigma), and compute the value of S as an element of R.

. Which I believe to be correct, but I don't understand what else I am required to write out/display to satisfy the question.

=\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\sum_{n=0}^54 - 8\sum_{n=0}^5(n+1)^3}\)

=\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{24 - 8\sum_{n=0}^5(n+1)^3}\)

continue....

Hello,

Question:
S =

It's just asking for a real number as the sum (as opposed to a symbolic summation). That is, evaluate the sum.

It doesn't say how to evaluate; since there are only 6 terms, you could just write them all out and add them!

Hello,

Question:
S =

I would have summed over from n=1 to n=6 and NOT have that 1st 2 in your work. When did you break off that 2 for?
As already mentioned, in finding the value of S as an element of R is just asking you to find S and that your answer should be a real number.