Calculate standard deviation of 4.7%, 16.4%, 30.1%, 19.9%

Student94

Hi!

I need help in understanding the essential steps and solution to this problem. Would appreciate any assistance.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last 4-year stock returns of InCorporate Inc. are presented in the table below:
Year Return
-4 4.7%
-3 16.4%
-2 30.1%
-1 19.9%

Calculate standard deviation of the stock.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friendly regards:

Linus

Student94;425285[COLOR=#000000 said:
][/COLOR]I need help in understanding the essential steps and solution to this problem. Would appreciate any assistance.
The last 4-year stock returns of InCorporate Inc. are presented in the table below:
Year Return
-4 4.7%
-3 16.4%
-2 30.1%
-1 19.9%

Calculate standard deviation of the stock.
I'm not clear on what is being asked. You are given the returns on the stock (that is, the percentage increase or decrease on the value of the stock), but are asked for the standard deviation of "the stock" (which sounds like perhaps they're asking about the value of the stock). In similar exercises where they used this sort of language, what did they mean?

Also, when you say that you "need help in understanding the essential steps and solution to this problem", does this mean that you are needing lesson instruction? If so, how far back are you needing the lessons to go?

Thank you! ;)