Vertical / Horizontal Displacements: A boy kicks a ball into the air....

JJKD

Hey guys! Firstly, let me start by apologizing if this is completely the wrong place to put this question. As you'll soon tell my maths is... well, questionable at best.

Let me just give some context to avoid any assumptions
smile.png
I'm starting an OU degree in autumn with my first module being mathematics. My maths knowledge didn't get any further than highschool so it's a bit of a challenge. I've been trying to revise using practise papers and bring myself at least up to scratch but this is proving difficult. There are some questions where I'm spending hours on them which would take some of you 10 minutes. But this question here is driving me nuts...

The question:

A boy standing on a level playing field kicks a ball into the air from the
ground at his feet. The trajectory of the ball can be modelled by the
equation

y=3x - x^2/2

where x is the horizontal displacement (in metres) of the ball from the
boy and y is the vertical displacement (in metres) measured from the
ground.

(i) Find the maximum vertical displacement of the ball.

(ii) If there is a 3 metre high wall at a distance of 5 metres from the
boy, in the direction the ball is travelling, will the ball be kicked
over the wall? Explain your answer.

I have lots more questions like this but I want to work those out myself when I have an understanding of the first one :/

Sorry this is a pretty big 'text dump', but my math ability is pretty bad and I don't even know where to begin.

Cheers guys!
Jay

Hey guys! Firstly, let me start by apologizing if this is completely the wrong place to put this question. As you'll soon tell my maths is... well, questionable at best.

smile.png
I'm starting an OU degree in autumn with my first module being mathematics. My maths knowledge didn't get any further than highschool so it's a bit of a challenge. I've been trying to revise using practise papers and bring myself at least up to scratch but this is proving difficult. There are some questions where I'm spending hours on them which would take some of you 10 minutes. But this question here is driving me nuts...

The question:

equation

y=3x - x^2/2

ground.

(i) Find the
maximum vertical displacement of the ball. .... What method/s have you been taught to calculate maxima/minima of a function?

over the wall? Explain your answer
.................................... Draw a sketch of the situation (trajectory) in this case. What do you find?

I have lots more questions like this but I want to work those out myself when I have an understanding of the first one :/

Sorry this is a pretty big 'text dump', but my math ability is pretty bad and I don't even know where to begin.

Cheers guys!
Jay

smile.png

The question:

equation

y=3x - x^2/2

ground.

(i) Find the maximum vertical displacement of the ball.

over the wall? Explain your answer.

Cheers guys!
Jay
The fact that you can't do (ii) means that you do not know what y=3x - x^2/2 is telling you. You were told that x is the horizontal displacement (in metres) of the ball from the boy and y is the vertical displacement (in metres) measured from the ground.

What information does the 5 metres give you in
If there is a 3 metre high wall at a distance of 5 metres from the boy? And what does y tell you. Once you understand what y=3x - x^2/2 is telling you'll easily be able to solve (ii)

Please let us know how you are making out.