Sound localisation using multilateration?

gibbs-909

Hello. I'm working on a project, where I'm trying to locate the position of a sound source. I've got an array of 4 microphones, 3 in a triangle and one out of plane. The microphones are all connected to a micro-controller which can accurately time stamp the incoming signals. Since the time the signal was produced is unknown, the system calculates the Time Difference of Arrival (TDoA) for each microphone, relative to the first mic that detected the signal. I know what microphones were triggered and the order they were triggered in, and they are at known positions. How can I use this information to get the x,y,z coordinates of the sound source? I've been looking into triangulation and multilateration but can't seem to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello. I'm working on a project, where I'm trying to locate the position of a sound source. I've got an array of 4 microphones, 3 in a triangle and one out of plane. The microphones are all connected to a micro-controller which can accurately time stamp the incoming signals. Since the time the signal was produced is unknown, the system calculates the Time Difference of Arrival (TDoA) for each microphone, relative to the first mic that detected the signal. I know what microphones were triggered and the order they were triggered in, and they are at known positions. How can I use this information to get the x,y,z coordinates of the sound source? I've been looking into triangulation and multilateration but can't seem to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
What were you taught, in preparation for your class project? Thank you! ;)

Assuming this is a project for which you need to learn everything on your own, it's not likely we're going to be able to give you everything you need. You'll have to gather information, try applying it, and then ask for help on specific points. A site like ours works much better at helping with specific questions than at trying to teach a whole subject with no given starting point.

I would start by searching for "multilateration", perhaps with other terms to find sources that include details about calculations. Here are a couple of the first sources I found: Wikipedia, and a presentation from a book. If there are techniques that you don't know, you'll have to find further information; if necessary, you could ask us for advice on learning that material.