Mathematics: Wanting to re-learn from the ground up, through undergraduate classes

MathSelfLearn

Dear All,

For a number of reasons my mathematical skills are very poor.
I do however want to compensate for this deficiency in my education by re-learning mathematics.
I want to learn from ground up. That is from the basics like fractions, decimals, etc etc all the way up-to mathematics at a undergraduate course in mathematics.
Can anyone hear please suggest some resources?

Regards

I do however want to compensate for this deficiency in my education by re-learning mathematics.
I want to learn from ground up. That is from the basics like fractions, decimals, etc etc all the way up-to mathematics at a undergraduate course in mathematics.
One place to get started might be your local Kumon Tutoring Centre. ;)

My Reply

@Dennis: Yes it certainly was weak skills. I am interested in math but due to personal issues I could not study nor grasp concepts very well. However I am now in a position where I want/can devote my time to self study.

@Staple: I would prefer to have a set of books that I can work through in my own time.

@Staple: I would prefer to have a set of books that I can work through in my own time.
That could turn out to be a very frustrating adventure, for a beginner. Higher level math can be self-taught from a book. Beginner needs a coach - mostly to avoid bad habits!!

I would go through math text books starting with the grade you don't know well enough. Supplement with online resources, e.g. youtube - Khan Academy, etc.
When you think you know the material for the grade, test yourself with some advanced problems, e.g. Math Kangaroo sample questions:
http://www.mathkangaroo.org/mk/sample_questions.html

Good luck!

FWIW, I hated Kumon Math, and so has everyone else I've ever talked to whose parents forced them to do it (maybe we should have a group therapy session over this shared childhood trauma :rolleyes:). Perhaps it has changed since the 90s, but back then it was little more than timed exercise worksheets with zero actual instruction. So if you want to feel like a failure because you can't complete a certain number of exercises (that you were never taught how to do) within a certain time limit, then it's great. I believe your money would be better spent on some other math tutoring centre.

I like lev888's suggestions of online instruction (esp Khan Academy) along with self-test benchmarks.

Dear All,

Regards
I have made up math videos from arithmetic through calculus 3 and then some. You can view them at https://www.youtube.com/user/FreeAcademyForMath/playlists. These are the best videos out there!

Last edited: