Local Error: Euler/Modified Euler - moved

ChrisHuey

Hi All,

I know that it I substitute theta = 0, I get Euler method. If I substitute theta = 1/2, I get Crank-Nicholson. I know this means that Crank-Nicholson is more accurate, but I am unsure how to answer the part of the question concerning the attached ODE.

Is anyone able to help with this?

Thanks.

Attachments

• NMQ1b.PNG
    NMQ1b.PNG
    28 KB · Views: 4
  • ODE.PNG
    ODE.PNG
    774 bytes · Views: 10
1) Are you SURE you cannot find circumstances where each is the more accurate?

2) What's stopping you from calculating the specified partial derivatives?

You probably can. But from the notes I do have that touches on this topic, I know the person will be wanting me to reduce it to the Euler and Crank-Nicholson method using those states theta values, and thus show Crank-Nicholson is more accurate.

Question is written in such a way that they are wanting me to show that one is more accurate than the other as well, so I am fine that this is what they are wanting.

I don't know what I am being asked. What is Xn and Xn+1 in this particular case? I wouldn't know where to start on this bit as it is.

1) They are leading me to choose a more accurate method, and the only notes I have on this fill not even one page and simply state that the substituted theta values yield the Euler and Crank-Nicholson method. So I know they're expecting me to use that to show it's more accurate.

2) I honestly have no idea about this, which is what I am wanting help with. Not sure even how to start, such as what Xn or Xn+1 are. Otherwise I would have at least tried to differentiate and offer something.

Is the attached the first term of the LE using the given ODE? How to get the second term of LE?

Attachments

• ssss.jpg
    ssss.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1
Local Error: Euler/Crank-Nicholson

Hi,

Is that the first term of the LE using the given ODE? If so, how to calculate the second term of the LE expression (i.e. third-order partial derivatives)?

Attachments

• NMQ1b.PNG
    NMQ1b.PNG
    28 KB · Views: 0
  • ODE.PNG
    ODE.PNG
    774 bytes · Views: 7
  • ssss.jpg
    ssss.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0