T substitution: Why is the derivative of sinx in terms of t NOT cos x in terms of t?

hndalama

Please see picture, for further details.

Attachments

• t sub question.jpg
    t sub question.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 8
The catch is that you've changed the variable. It's true that \(\displaystyle \dfrac{d(sin(x))}{dx} = \dfrac{d}{dx} \left( \dfrac{2t}{1+t^2} \right) = \dfrac{1-t^2}{1+t^2} = cos(x)\). However, \(\displaystyle \dfrac{d(sin(x))}{dt} = \dfrac{d}{dt} \left( \dfrac{2t}{1+t^2} \right) = \dfrac{2(t^2-1)}{(1+t^2)^2} \neq cos(x)\) because you're now differentiating with respect to t instead of with respect to x.

The catch is that you've changed the variable. It's true that \(\displaystyle \dfrac{d(sin(x))}{dx} = \dfrac{d}{dx} \left( \dfrac{2t}{1+t^2} \right) = \dfrac{1-t^2}{1+t^2} = cos(x)\). However, \(\displaystyle \dfrac{d(sin(x))}{dt} = \dfrac{d}{dt} \left( \dfrac{2t}{1+t^2} \right) = \dfrac{2(t^2-1)}{(1+t^2)^2} \neq cos(x)\) because you're now differentiating with respect to t instead of with respect to x.

addressing only d/dt, I have
d/dt 2t/(1+t2)= d/dt 2t(1+t2)-1
=2(1+t2)-1+2t(-1)(1+t2)-2(2t)
=2/(1+t2)-4t2/(1+t2)2
=2+2t2-4t2/(1+t2)2
=2(1-t2)/(1+t2)2
you have t2-1 here,
am i wrong?

=2/(1+t2)-4t2/(1+t2)2
=2+2t2-4t2/(1+t2)2
=2(1-t2)/(1+t2)2
you have t2-1 here,
am i wrong?
I checked your work twice and it looks fine.

awesome, that works. thank you;)

how are you taking derivative of a f(t) with respect to x?
is there an unmentioned relation between x and t?

=2/(1+t2)-4t2/(1+t2)2
=2+2t2-4t2/(1+t2)2
=2(1-t2)/(1+t2)2
you have t2-1 here,
am i wrong?

Whoops! Yes, I missed a minus sign out front of the whole thing. It should really be \(\displaystyle -\dfrac{2(t^2-1)}{(1+t^2)^2}\). Flipping the order of the terms in the numerator would achieve the same effect. Sorry about my mistake.

In OP's picture, they note the relationship \(\displaystyle sin(x) = \dfrac{2t}{1+t^2}\), which implies that there was a t-substitution of \(\displaystyle t=tan \left( \dfrac{x}{2} \right)\) (alternatively, \(\displaystyle t=cot \left( \dfrac{x}{2} \right)\) would also work)

Whoops! Yes, I missed a minus sign out front of the whole thing. It should really be \(\displaystyle -\dfrac{2(t^2-1)}{(1+t^2)^2}\). Flipping the order of the terms in the numerator would achieve the same effect. Sorry about my mistake.

In OP's picture, they note the relationship \(\displaystyle sin(x) = \dfrac{2t}{1+t^2}\), which implies that there was a t-substitution of \(\displaystyle t=tan \left( \dfrac{x}{2} \right)\) (alternatively, \(\displaystyle t=cot \left( \dfrac{x}{2} \right)\) would also work)

now the sign makes sense.
I see the sin(x)=2t/(1+t2) and am aware this implies t=tan(x/2) now.
I will try to work it from here.
thanks.

Actually there is a mention relation between x and t and that is sin(x)= 2t/(1+t2). Is this what you mean??

Actually there is a mention relation between x and t and that is sin(x)= 2t/(1+t2). Is this what you mean??

I was asking how do you take the derivative of 2t/(1+t2) with respect to x?

I was asking how do you take the derivative of 2t/(1+t2) with respect to x?
You probably will not like my answer but it is what it is.

Since sin(x) = 2t/(1+t2) we have (d/dx) [2t/(1+t2)] = (d/dx)sinx =cosx.

You probably will not like my answer but it is what it is.

Since sin(x) = 2t/(1+t2) we have (d/dx) [2t/(1+t2)] = (d/dx)sinx =cosx.

you are right, i did not like that answer.
I am aware that d/dx sinx=cosx, but it does not give cos(t), or cosx=f(t).
I expected a route such as dsinx/dx=dsinx/dt*dt/dx, ....chain rule, or something like that.

from an earlier post, sinx=2t/[1+t2] implies (and it can be shown) that t=tan(x/2).
then sinx=2tan(x/2)/[1+tan2(x/2)], or some combination, such as 2cos(x/2)sin(x/2), that you can take the derivative of with respect to x.
then d/dx= cos2(x/2)-sin2(x/2)=cos2(x/2)=cosx.
that is the long way around, but i think is the purpose of the exercise.

you are right, i did not like that answer.
I am aware that d/dx sinx=cosx, but it does not give cos(t), or cosx=f(t).
I expected a route such as dsinx/dx=dsinx/dt*dt/dx, ....chain rule, or something like that.

from an earlier post, sinx=2t/[1+t2] implies (and it can be shown) that t=tan(x/2).
then sinx=2tan(x/2)/[1+tan2(x/2)], or some combination, such as 2cos(x/2)sin(x/2), that you can take the derivative of with respect to x.
then d/dx= cos2(x/2)-sin2(x/2)=cos2(x/2)=cosx.
that is the long way around, but i think is the purpose of the exercise.
y = 2t/[1+t2]=>dy/dt = 2(1-t2)/(1+t2)2

now t= tan (x/2). Draw a right triangle that corresponds to t= tan (x/2). So opposite x/2 is t and adjacent to x/2 is 1. So the hypotenuse is sqrt(1+t2). Now we have the complete triangle.

Since t= tan (x/2) we get dt/dx = sec2 (x/2)*(1/2)

Now dy/dx = (dy/dt)(dt/dx) = 2(1-t2)/(1+t2)2*sec2 (x/2)*(1/2)=(1-t2)/(1+t2)2*sec2 (x/2). Now use the triangle to compute sec2 (x/2) in terms of t. Multiply this result by 2(1-t2)/(1+t2)2 and you get the desired result.

y = 2t/[1+t2]=>dy/dt = 2(1-t2)/(1+t2)2

now t= tan (x/2). Draw a right triangle that corresponds to t= tan (x/2). So opposite x/2 is t and adjacent to x/2 is 1. So the hypotenuse is sqrt(1+t2). Now we have the complete triangle.

Since t= tan (x/2) we get dt/dx = sec2 (x/2)*(1/2)

Now dy/dx = (dy/dt)(dt/dx) = 2(1-t2)/(1+t2)2*sec2 (x/2)*(1/2)=(1-t2)/(1+t2)2*sec2 (x/2). Now use the triangle to compute sec2 (x/2) in terms of t. Multiply this result by 2(1-t2)/(1+t2)2 and you get the desired result.

very good.
more than one way to skin a cat.
thanks