Directed numbers

Marcelrules

Hi guys , question for ye and I would love your thoughts . If I’m on the 10th level
in a shopping center and my friend is on level 12 , how many levels are between us ? A lot of people have interpreted this differently and I would appreciate your thoughts . Thanks

More than one way to interpret.

1) 10 11 12 -- Clearly, 11 is between 10 and 12

2) If you have 8 apples an your friend has 3 apples, how many apples are there between the two of you?

3) We've set a perimeter. We have 10 and 12 occupied. This makes 11 also secure.

Others?

Hi guys , question for ye and I would love your thoughts . If I’m on the 10th level
in a shopping center and my friend is on level 12 , how many levels are between us ? A lot of people have interpreted this differently and I would appreciate your thoughts . Thanks

Yes, this is just part of the ambiguity of English (or any human language). The speaker is responsible to clarify the intended meaning; more than one interpretation is valid without further context.

If we think discretely, in terms of counting things, the only level between 10 and 12 is 11; so the answer is 1.

10 (11) 12: only one object (level) between.

If we think continuously, in terms of distance, you have to go up two stairs to get to him, so the answer is 12 - 10 = 2; in effect, this is the vertical distance between your feet and his feet.

10--->11--->12: two spaces between.