Enlarge Triangle: do I need to center that triangle at the origin to enlarge it?

drrragons

Hi everyone, firstly I love math but gets frustrating when your not sure about the question sometimes.

I have read through all the material a few times and one thing is confusing me because I cant see it covered.

The assignment wants me to create triangle in the first quadrant and then enlarge it.

Now My question is do I need to center that triangle at the origin to enlarge it? Or do I need to line it up with the origin somehow?

The reason I ask this is because the next question wants me to rotate it around the origin.

So this plotting a triangle and then moving it around etc is confusing me.

I can provide more details if required.

We lack virtually every detail that would permit a cogent response.

First, please give the exact and complete text of the problem.

Second, please explain how you answered it or what you have tried to do to reach an answer.

The assignment wants me to create triangle in the first quadrant and then enlarge it.

Now My question is do I need to center that triangle at the origin to enlarge it? Or do I need to line it up with the origin somehow?

The reason I ask this is because the next question wants me to rotate it around the origin.

So this plotting a triangle and then moving it around etc is confusing me.

I can provide more details if required.

It will be very helpful (well, necessary) if you show us the exact wording of the whole problem, and also tell us briefly what you have learned about enlarging.

You may have been taught only how to enlarge relative to the origin; if so, then you will have to move it, if you were told to enlarge it other than about the origin. But you may have been taught how to enlarge about any specified point; then you can do it directly.

ok so here is some more information the initial step is to:

Sketch A = (2,1), B = (2,4) and C = (4,3)

Then Using matrix operations,

(i) Enlarge triangle ABC by a factor of 2 and Plot this on the graph and label the coordinates DEF

Using matrix operations Rotate DEF 180° about (0,0)

-------

In terms of what I have done is basically zero because I do not know if I am supposed to center this triangle around 0,0 to enlarge it to begin with. I cant find any reference to doing this in the material or if I was to center it at 0,0 do I need to locate the center of the triangle first?

The majority of my material is very straight forward for me to comprehend but I am a little stuck on this.

ok so here is some more information the initial step is to:

Sketch A = (2,1), B = (2,4) and C = (4,3)

Then Using matrix operations,

(i) Enlarge triangle ABC by a factor of 2 and Plot this on the graph and label the coordinates DEF

Using matrix operations Rotate DEF 180° about (0,0)

-------

In terms of what I have done is basically zero because I do not know if I am supposed to center this triangle around 0,0 to enlarge it to begin with. I cant find any reference to doing this in the material or if I was to center it at 0,0 do I need to locate the center of the triangle first?

The majority of my material is very straight forward for me to comprehend but I am a little stuck on this.

We'll still want to know what you have learned about matrix operations; but it's nice to know at least that you are using matrices! That gives us a little context. (This could have been done in many other ways.)

Now, if you're just told to enlarge it, without being told the center of the dilation, you can probably assume the center is the origin -- I don't mean the center of the triangle (whatever you might mean by that), but the center of the enlargement. Probably the matrix operation you were taught for enlarging does this. In fact, I get the impression they haven't talked about the center of an enlargement at all, or they would have mentioned it!

So show us what you learned about using a matrix to enlarge, and then what happens when you try doing just that. Then we can repeat the process with rotations.

ok so in the material it specifically says this:

Enlargements with center (0,0) are considered in this section.

My Co-ordinates for the question are not center 0,0

So in terms of using a matrix to enlarge the original shape I have learnt that:

Would be used to enlarge by 2

I would therefore end up with the coordinates

D = (4,2), E = (4,8) and F = (8,6)

drrragons sent this to me because it wasn't posting successfully:

If my understanding is correct.

My response, in summary: yes, this is correct.

OK, nicely done. Now what happens to a point (x,y) when you rotate it 180o? What matrix will do this job for you?

I appreciate all the responses and I feel like I have failed to communicate exactly what my issue is.

Somewhere along this math journey I have absorbed that there is a difference between enlarging an object centered at 0,0 like the unit circle for example and a circle sitting somewhere in a quadrant somewhere. In terms of the effect this has on the enlarging, Im not 100% clear on.

Anyway, I got the idea that for me to successfully complete this question I had to move the triangle first to the center somehow (as in its sitting exactly in the middle of the grid.) and then enlarge it. I have zero idea how you would do that.

So I feel at this point my assumption that I had to do this is completely wrong.

I emailed my teacher about this question, saying what I have said here and he basically said I have been taught how to transform the triangle. ie move it. and that's all he said which basically clarified nothing because essentially I wanted to know if that's what I was expected to do and how would I go about it.

Anyway I have reached a point that Im just going to enlarge it and rotate it where it is and that will be my answer.

I appreciate all the help and I feel its my teacher that is not helping clarify what I want to know which I would feel is essential to the learning process.

I appreciate all the responses and I feel like I have failed to communicate exactly what my issue is.

Somewhere along this math journey I have absorbed that there is a difference between enlarging an object centered at 0,0 like the unit circle for example and a circle sitting somewhere in a quadrant somewhere. In terms of the effect this has on the enlarging, Im not 100% clear on.

Anyway, I got the idea that for me to successfully complete this question I had to move the triangle first to the center somehow (as in its sitting exactly in the middle of the grid.) and then enlarge it. I have zero idea how you would do that.

So I feel at this point my assumption that I had to do this is completely wrong.

I emailed my teacher about this question, saying what I have said here and he basically said I have been taught how to transform the triangle. ie move it. and that's all he said which basically clarified nothing because essentially I wanted to know if that's what I was expected to do and how would I go about it.

Anyway I have reached a point that Im just going to enlarge it and rotate it where it is and that will be my answer.

I appreciate all the help and I feel its my teacher that is not helping clarify what I want to know which I would feel is essential to the learning process.
I have no idea what you mean by the center of the triangle. But I can still help if you know how to find the center. Suppose the center of the triangle is at (h,k). Transform A = (2,1), B = (2,4) and C = (4,3) to A' = (2-h,1-k), B' = (2-h,4-k) and C' = (4-h,3-k). Now the center will be at (0,0). Does this help?

You're right that you made a wrong assumption. As I've said previously, the only "center" that matters in the assignment is the "center of dilation". The enlargement you have to do (which the matrix automatically does for you) multiplies every distance from that center by a fixed amount. Where the "center" of the object is doesn't matter.

What probably lies behind your thinking is the fact that if the object being moved has a "center" (not all objects have a single well-defined center; the "center" of a triangle can be defined in many different ways), that center will be moved in the same was as anything else. Most people tend to naturally think of enlargement of an object as being relative to its own center -- like a ball being inflated or a child growing.

The key idea you need to pick up, perhaps, is that the enlargement being taught is not really enlargement of a particular object; it is a transformation of the entire plane! The object is just caught up in this overall growth, like a boat in a current; so the dilation will not only make it bigger, it will also move it away from the center. Once you start seeing it this way, everything you have been taught should make sense. It's possible that your teacher failed to explain this; it's also very possible that he did, but it didn't make an impression on you because you can't help thinking of it in the object-centered way. I would expect your textbook to have some pictures and explanations that might say all this. Perhaps a site like this can help; the first picture shows a dilation of a triangle that is away from the origin, and is moved further away. A later picture shows a triangle that surrounds the origin, and doesn't so clearly show that it is also moved.

Now, if you quoted the problem accurately as "Enlarge triangle ABC by a factor of 2", then that is an unfortunate wording, because it does focus your attention on the triangle, as if you were to only enlarge that, and not do anything else. Hopefully, the context was written to make it clear that what they want you to do is to apply a matrix transformation of the plane that will enlarge the triangle (and also move every point except the origin!).

The important thing is that you let go of your misunderstanding of the goal, and see what is actually being taught. That may take some time yet, as you get used to a new way of seeing things.