How to calculate complicated variations? Vertical & Horizontal Distances.

Tommy Lau

Lets take jumping onto a platform as an example, I want to calculate the difficulty of the height(vertical distance) and horizontal distance combined.:rolleyes:

For example, my maximum box jump height(vertical) is 1.5m, my maximum broad jump distance(horizontal) is 3.5m, these two exercises use both legs to jump, the only difference is one is vertical and one is horizontal.:idea:

But the biggest problem in this calculation is that the horizontal distance of maximum box jump is not zero, because it is impossible to jump while half of my body is inside the platfrom. And the IDEAL horizontal distance for my maximum box jump is 0.6m. (Lets take 0.6m as the IDEAL horizontal distance for all height of box jump.):confused:

For horizontal distance, the IDEAL height of my Maximum broad jump is zero.(more simple):D

Could you help me solve::p
1. If there is a height adjustable platform 2m away from me, theoretically what is the Maximum Height can the platform be adjusted to using my Maximum Power?
2. If there is a 1m platform, How far is my Maximum horizontal distance if I want to jump onto the obstacle?
3, If there is a platform 4m away from me but 1m lower than my standing position, Am I able to jump to that platform?

4.* Can I calculate the coefficient of difficulty in different situations like jumping onto a 1m platform from 1m away to compare to my maximum height plus distance.:D

I want to get the values and calculations because I want to know where is the limit and trying to get over it, sometimes I want to get the values (actual jump) myself but the outcome is unreliable because the value is affected by my fear of course...:sad:

Lets take jumping onto a platform as an example, I want to calculate the difficulty of the height(vertical distance) and horizontal distance combined.:rolleyes:

For example, my maximum box jump height(vertical) is 1.5m, my maximum broad jump distance(horizontal) is 3.5m, these two exercises use both legs to jump, the only difference is one is vertical and one is horizontal.:idea:

But the biggest problem in this calculation is that the horizontal distance of maximum box jump is not zero, because it is impossible to jump while half of my body is inside the platfrom. And the IDEAL horizontal distance for my maximum box jump is 0.6m. (Lets take 0.6m as the IDEAL horizontal distance for all height of box jump.):confused:

For horizontal distance, the IDEAL height of my Maximum broad jump is zero.(more simple):D

1. If there is a height adjustable platform 2m away from me, theoretically what is the Maximum Height can the platform be adjusted to using my Maximum Power?
2. If there is a 1m platform, How far is my Maximum horizontal distance if I want to jump onto the obstacle?
3, If there is a platform 4m away from me but 1m lower than my standing position, Am I able to jump to that platform?

4.* Can I calculate the coefficient of difficulty in different situations like jumping onto a 1m platform from 1m away to compare to my maximum height plus distance.:D

I want to get the values and calculations because I want to know where is the limit and trying to get over it, sometimes I want to get the values (actual jump) myself but the outcome is unreliable because the value is affected by my fear of course...:sad:

Attachments

• Trial cal.jpg
    Trial cal.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Trial Bike cal.jpg
    Trial Bike cal.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0

It sounds like you're wanting to figure out an equation that models a physical process. However, to do that, you would need (1) to know for a fact that there is a fixed and known relationship that models the process (and then fit your data to the existing model) or (2) to collect much more data (and then apply some statistics to it).

You've posted this to "Geometry and Trig". Which method are you expected to use for this exercise? Thank you! ;)