wolf eat sheep problem: There are 100 equally spaced points around a circle....

camel

Hi all,

I've encountered this problem:
============================================================================================
There are 100 equally spaced points around a circle. At 99 of the points, there are sheep, and at 1 point, there is a wolf. At each time step, the wolf randomly moves either clockwise or counterclockwise by 1 point. If there is a sheep at that point, he eats it. The sheep don't move. What is the probability that the sheep who is initially opposite the wolf is the last one remaining?
============================================================================================
This problem is more or less like the gambler ruin problem, but I can not think of a proper way to come up a recursive formula for it. Very appreciate for help.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I've encountered this problem:
There are 100 equally spaced points around a circle. At 99 of the points, there are sheep, and at 1 point, there is a wolf. At each time step, the wolf randomly moves either clockwise or counterclockwise by 1 point. If there is a sheep at that point, he eats it. The sheep don't move. What is the probability that the sheep who is initially opposite the wolf is the last one remaining?
This problem is more or less like the gambler ruin problem, but I can not think of a proper way to come up a recursive formula for it. Very appreciate for help.

Thanks.

Perhaps it is time to start building and theorizing.

What if there are only 2 points, 0 and 1. 100% that #1 will be eaten first and last.
What if there are 4 points, 0, 1 2, 3.
- 1 or 3 goes down.
-- Back to 0 or fail.
--- Same or Different

There you have it.
- 100% Go either way
-- 50% Go Back to 0.
--- 50% Go the opposite way from the first step.
1/4 that #2 will eaten last.
Speculate n = 3 (sheep), (1/2)^(n-1) = (1/2)^2 = 1/4

Your turn. n = 5 (sheep). What do you get? Is it (1/2)^(n-1) = (1/2)^4 = 1/16? If it is, can we prove the pattern continues? If it isn't, what's your next theory?