Geometry: From picture, what properties can you be sure of? Does ray bisect angle?

mannt

a. Based on the picture, what properties can you be sure this figure has? Think about angles, lines, and points.
b. Does ray "l" bisect ∠ABC? Explain your thinking.
c. What would you need to do to prove that ray "l" bisects ∠ABC?

picture:
41.2-HOT2-Angle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Need help in this geometry question

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]1.[/COLOR]
Use the following image to answer the questions below.
41.2-HOT2-Angle.jpg

a. Based on the picture, what properties can you be sure this figure has? Think about angles, lines, and points.
b. Does ray
l bisect

∠ABC? Explain your thinking.
c. What would you need to do to prove that ray
l bisects

∠ABC?

b. Does ray
l bisect

l bisects

∠ABC?

picture: https://api.agilixbuzz.com/Resz/~zd...D,0,0/Assets/Media/Images/41.2-HOT2-Angle.jpg
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/for

Geometry problem, not sure if i did it right.

41.2-HOT2-Angle.jpg

b. Does ray
l bisect

l bisects

∠ABC?

so this is what I answered and I am not sure if i'm right, can someone correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks!

a. In this picture, <abc is a right angle of 90 degrees. There is a bisecting ray, which is an acute angle. Angle abc and angle dbc are adjacent because they share a vertex(B), and a side(BD). b. Yes, it does, because ray L divides the angle into two different angles. The ray created two acute angles within the right angle.
c. I would need to prove that they both have to equal 90 degrees. One angle is smaller than the other, so by making it equal 90 degrees.

41.2-HOT2-Angle.jpg

b. Does ray l bisect ∠ABC? Explain your thinking.
c. What would you need to do to prove that ray l bisects ∠ABC?

so this is what I answered and I am not sure if i'm right, can someone correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks!

a. In this picture, <abc is a right angle of 90 degrees. There is a bisecting ray, which is an acute angle. Angle abc and angle dbc are adjacent because they share a vertex(B), and a side(BD).
b. Yes, it does, because ray L divides the angle into two different angles. The ray created two acute angles within the right angle.

c. I would need to prove that they both have to equal 90 degrees. One angle is smaller than the other, so by making it equal 90 degrees.

a. In geometry, we are not sure of anything based on only what it looks like; we must be able to deduce it from what we are told. We can't be sure that ∠ABC is a right angle, even though it looks like it; it might be 90.1 degrees, for example. Since they are asking about being sure, I imagine you have been taught something about that.

What definition have you been given for "adjacent angles"? I would not call ABC and DBC adjacent, but someone else might.

b. It appears to; but you don't know it until you prove it. I don't think you have to prove it here; but you haven't explained your thinking well. Shouldn't the two angles be equal, rather than "different"? And how does their being acute help?

c. You haven't stated this clearly; what are "they both"??? And do you really mean that each equals 90, as you have said, or do you mean their sum? Precision is necessary in proofs.