I need help making a math puzzle to win contest for 3D printer

WarriorOfGod37

So I am trying to make a math puzzle to enter into a competition, and I had a really good idea, but I can't make it work. The rules for the puzzle are as follows:
  1. Starting with 0, add or subtract the numbers next to the square in question.
  2. Always add first.
  3. All squares must follow rules 1 and 2.
One example grid is linked here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HLfjAJIGaAlJdg7r-P4fD16OwygdTbNp/view?usp=sharing

The grid must be 5x5 and follow the rules above.
An example of how the puzzle would work would be like so:

Starting with the center square, we see that we need to add the top square and the right square to 0.
0+8+3=11
We then see that we need to subtract the left and bottom squares from 11.
11-2-4=5
The center square equals 5, and this must be taken into account for all adjacent squares.

I have tried to make 7 of these different grids, I've edited numbers over 100 times and I've tried to use Microsoft Excel, but it doesn't like circular dependency. I cant get it to work. Can anybody else make a grid that has marked sides as seen in the center square that works? It would be most appreciated, please help.

So I am trying to make a math puzzle to enter into a competition, and I had a really good idea, but I can't make it work. The rules for the puzzle are as follows:
  1. Starting with 0, add or subtract the numbers next to the square in question.
  2. Always add first.
  3. All squares must follow rules 1 and 2.
One example grid is linked here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HLfjAJIGaAlJdg7r-P4fD16OwygdTbNp/view?usp=sharing

The grid must be 5x5 and follow the rules above.
An example of how the puzzle would work would be like so:

Starting with the center square, we see that we need to add the top square and the right square to 0.
0+8+3=11
We then see that we need to subtract the left and bottom squares from 11.
11-2-4=5
The center square equals 5, and this must be taken into account for all adjacent squares.

I have tried to make 7 of these different grids, I've edited numbers over 100 times and I've tried to use Microsoft Excel, but it doesn't like circular dependency. I cant get it to work. Can anybody else make a grid that has marked sides as seen in the center square that works? It would be most appreciated, please help.

1) I'm thinking you haven't defined the purpose or goal of the additions or subtractions.
2) Will you share the winnings if you get enough help?

The Add and Subtract are to define the number in the square based on the adjacent squares based on the location of the sign.
(ie: the top + means that you add the top square)

As to the winnings, I cant really, due to the fact that the prize is a 3D printer, an I am making the puzzle to enter into a 3D modeling contest, but I will more than gladly credit the name of whoever can make the grid by inscribing it onto the model.

1) I'm thinking you haven't defined the purpose or goal of the additions or subtractions.
2) Will you share the winnings if you get enough help?

The Purpose of the add and subtract is to define the number in the square in question.
(ie: the center square in the refrence image is defined as 5 based on the sum and difference of the four adjacent squares)

As to the prize, I am entering this into a 3D modeling contest to win a 3D printer, so the prize can't be shared but credit can. I would be more than willing to put the name of the person to help make the grid on the model.

The Purpose of the add and subtract is to define the number in the square in question.
(ie: the center square in the refrence image is defined as 5 based on the sum and difference of the four adjacent squares)

As to the prize, I am entering this into a 3D modeling contest to win a 3D printer, so the prize can't be shared but credit can. I would be more than willing to put the name of the person to help make the grid on the model.

2) Surely I was joking.
1) At first glance, it looks too easy.

a) Don't you just have to use addition until you can use subtraction?
b) Can't you just use subtraction until is would drip below zero - then use addition?
c) Is there a limit to how high the intermediate value can go?
d) I there a limit to how low the intermediate value can go?
e) What is the target range for the final value?

2) Surely I was joking.
1) At first glance, it looks too easy.

a) Don't you just have to use addition until you can use subtraction?
b) Can't you just use subtraction until is would drip below zero - then use addition?
c) Is there a limit to how high the intermediate value can go?
d) I there a limit to how low the intermediate value can go?
e) What is the target range for the final value?

To answer a: Yes, I have been doing that.
To answer b: Yes, I have used that as well.
To answer c & d: I'm not quite sure of what an intermediate value is, seeing as I'm only in algebra 2, but assuming it is the sums /differences that would only be seen in the work, there is no limit so long as the final values are within the answer to e.
To answer e: The final values would preferably stay as positive numbers and wouldn't go over 30. 0 is an acceptable number, but numbers shouldn't be overused.

I apologize for the duplicate response and response time, my account is still new, so it is still going through the process of "your first few messages must be approved by a moderator", and that caused a little confusion for me so I apologize for that. I hope this helps, if there is still something you don't understand, message me so that the delay won't be there and I can get back to you as soon as possible.

To answer a: Yes, I have been doing that.
To answer b: Yes, I have used that as well.
To answer c & d: I'm not quite sure of what an intermediate value is, seeing as I'm only in algebra 2, but assuming it is the sums /differences that would only be seen in the work, there is no limit so long as the final values are within the answer to e.
To answer e: The final values would preferably stay as positive numbers and wouldn't go over 30. 0 is an acceptable number, but numbers shouldn't be overused.

I apologize for the duplicate response and response time, my account is still new, so it is still going through the process of "your first few messages must be approved by a moderator", and that caused a little confusion for me so I apologize for that. I hope this helps, if there is still something you don't understand, message me so that the delay won't be there and I can get back to you as soon as possible.

I would like to thank tkhunny for being interested in helping, but I have successfully created a grid for this.