Probability- Aeroplane seats: know that Boeing 737-700 has 102 seats in economy class

lpuntel

Problem:

You and 4 more friends bought tickets to watch a Rock n' Roll concert in another city. However, neither of you guys combined which seats were buying. That is, the tickets were bought randomly. You just noticed this fact while entering on the boarding queue.

Knowing that the plane model Boeing 737-700 has 102 seats at the economic class. And the seats are disposed in 2 lines, 3 per 3 seats. Having a corridor separating the lines.

which are the probabilities:
-to all of you are separated ( are in different rows)?
-all of you together ( same row)?
-the probability to you sit at least with one friend ( a friend in the same row)?

Yup. That's a good problem. What are your thoughts?

Yup. That's a good problem. What are your thoughts?

hmm, I think we first need to think in 1 single row.
And fix 1 person ( for example on the first seat). thinking on the probability of none of my friends sitting on my row: it would be something like 97/100 x 96/100 x 95/99 x 94/98.. (until line 6) . I don't know if it's missing something. Or if I need to make another account to exchange this first guy I fixed on the first seat.

Problem:

You and 4 more friends bought tickets to watch a Rock n' Roll concert in another city. However, neither of you guys combined which seats were buying. That is, the tickets were bought randomly. You just noticed this fact while entering on the boarding queue.

Knowing that the plane model Boeing 737-700 has 102 seats at the economic class. And the seats are disposed in 2 lines, 3 per 3 seats. Having a corridor separating the lines.

-the probability to you sit at least with one friend ( a friend in the same row)?

1) Do you observe that the first and last are EXACTLY the same problem? 1 - p(all separated) = p(someone sits with a friend)
2) This is a lot like the birthday Problem, but smaller. Think of you and your friends entering the aircraft. Someone gets there first. Mark off that row. When the 2nd person enters and sits, mark off that row, and etc. What is the probability that there will be no attempt to mark the same row a second time?

Problem:

I'm not quite sure what this means. Do you mean that the 102 seats have 102/2= 51 seats on each side of the isle, each row on one side of the aisle have 3 seats so there are 51/3= 17 rows (or 102/6= 17)?

In order that more than 3 (so all 5 of you are together) you must be considering seats on both sides of the isle to be 'in the same row' so there are 17 rows. The first person is in some row. That leaves 16 other rows so the probability the next person is in a different row is 16/17. There are then 15 rows left so the probability the next person is in yet another row is 15/17. Similarly we get 14/17, 13/17, and 12/17. The probability all 5 are in different rows is (16/17)(15/17)(14/17)(13/17)(12/17).

For the probability that all 5 are in the same row, the first person sits in some row. There are 5 seats left in that row as opposed to 101 unoccupied seats on the plane. The probability the next person sits in one of the 5 seats left in that row is 5/101. There are then 4 seats left in that row out of 100 unoccupied seats. The probability the third person sits in that same row is 4/100. Similarly the probability the fourth person sits in that row is 3/99 and the probability the fifth person also sits in that same row is 2/98. The probability that all 5 sit in the same row is (5/101)(4/100)(3/99)(2/98).

I thought, for a moment, that the last would be just the opposite of the first, 1- (16/17)(15/17)(14/17)(13/17)(12/17). But that would be the probability that some two people sit in the same row. The probability that you, personally share a row with at least one other person is different. But it is still simpler to find the probability that do NOT share a row with anyone and subtract from 1. You are in some row. the next person can sit in any of the other 6*16= 96 seats in the other 16 rows. The probability of that is 96/101. The third person can sit in in of the 95 seats remaining in the other 16 rows (this is different from the first question in that the third person can sit in the same row as the second person). The probability of that is 95/100. Similarly the probabilities the fourth and fifth persons do not sit in the same row as you are 94/99 and 93/98. The probability that you do not share a row with a friend is (96/101)(95/100)(94/99)(93/98). The probability that you share a row with at least one friend is 1- (96/101)(95/100)(94/99)(93/98).

I'm not quite sure what this means. Do you mean that the 102 seats have 102/2= 51 seats on each side of the isle, each row on one side of the aisle have 3 seats so there are 51/3= 17 rows (or 102/6= 17)?

In order that more than 3 (so all 5 of you are together) you must be considering seats on both sides of the isle to be 'in the same row' so there are 17 rows. The first person is in some row. That leaves 16 other rows so the probability the next person is in a different row is 16/17. There are then 15 rows left so the probability the next person is in yet another row is 15/17. Similarly we get 14/17, 13/17, and 12/17. The probability all 5 are in different rows is (16/17)(15/17)(14/17)(13/17)(12/17).

For the probability that all 5 are in the same row, the first person sits in some row. There are 5 seats left in that row as opposed to 101 unoccupied seats on the plane. The probability the next person sits in one of the 5 seats left in that row is 5/101. There are then 4 seats left in that row out of 100 unoccupied seats. The probability the third person sits in that same row is 4/100. Similarly the probability the fourth person sits in that row is 3/99 and the probability the fifth person also sits in that same row is 2/98. The probability that all 5 sit in the same row is (5/101)(4/100)(3/99)(2/98).

I thought, for a moment, that the last would be just the opposite of the first, 1- (16/17)(15/17)(14/17)(13/17)(12/17). But that would be the probability that some two people sit in the same row. The probability that you, personally share a row with at least one other person is different. But it is still simpler to find the probability that do NOT share a row with anyone and subtract from 1. You are in some row. the next person can sit in any of the other 6*16= 96 seats in the other 16 rows. The probability of that is 96/101. The third person can sit in in of the 95 seats remaining in the other 16 rows (this is different from the first question in that the third person can sit in the same row as the second person). The probability of that is 95/100. Similarly the probabilities the fourth and fifth persons do not sit in the same row as you are 94/99 and 93/98. The probability that you do not share a row with a friend is (96/101)(95/100)(94/99)(93/98). The probability that you share a row with at least one friend is 1- (96/101)(95/100)(94/99)(93/98).

Perfect, you understood the statement. Thank you, I thing your logic is correct

Problem:

I take it that you posted this problem since you needed some help with it. Well you have come to the right place. So where are you stuck, what have you tried? It is hard to help you if we do not know where you are stuck at. Please post back.