help with complex numbers: Solve z^3 + 3i z-bar = 0

yossa

Hello, I would be happy to help with complex numbers:

Find the equation's solutions:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{z^3\, +\, 3i\,\bar{z}\, =\, 0}\)

Attachments

• 20180518_173318.jpg
    20180518_173318.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I would be happy to help with complex numbers:

Find the equation's solutions:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{z^3\, +\, 3i\,\bar{z}\, =\, 0}\)

What have you tried?

If nothing else pops out, at least recall that z = a+bi.

Last edited by a moderator:
i didnt know how to start
Start with the hint you were given: Restate the complex number "z" in it's generic "a + bi" form. Use this to create an expression for the conjugate of "z". Use what you've learned about multiplying polynomial expressions to find the expression for the cube of "z". Combine and simplify as much as you can.

Then note that you have "(real number) + (other real number)*i = 0 + 0i". Equate the parts, creating two equations in "a" and "b". Solve to find the value(s) of "z".

If you get stuck, please reply showing all of your work, starting with your expression (in terms of "a" and "b") for the conjugate of "z". (Or, if you know nothing about complex numbers, conjugates, etc, please specify such, so we can try to find some online lesson links for you). Thank you! ;)

Start with the hint you were given: Restate the complex number "z" in it's generic "a + bi" form. Use this to create an expression for the conjugate of "z". Use what you've learned about multiplying polynomial expressions to find the expression for the cube of "z". Combine and simplify as much as you can.

Then note that you have "(real number) + (other real number)*i = 0 + 0i". Equate the parts, creating two equations in "a" and "b". Solve to find the value(s) of "z".

If you get stuck, please reply showing all of your work, starting with your expression (in terms of "a" and "b") for the conjugate of "z". (Or, if you know nothing about complex numbers, conjugates, etc, please specify such, so we can try to find some online lesson links for you). Thank you! ;)

Friend I really thank you,
I'm in the middle of studying this subject and hope to get better at it :)
Thank you :))))