Calculating price and quantity of items: If I buy 3 sandwiches for £1, how many...

rayted

Calculating price and quantity of items: If I buy 3 sandwiches for £1, how many...

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me understand how to calculate the quantity of an item and the price?

I.e.

If I buy 3 sandwiches for £1, how many sandwiches would I get for £10 etc.?

Thank you.

What do you need to know to answer the question? Can you obtain that from information provided?

What do you need to know to answer the question? Can you obtain that from information provided?

Umm I`m not sure I quite understand.

I just want to know how much I would spend to get X amount of sandwiches and vice-versa please

Umm I`m not sure I quite understand.

I just want to know how much I would spend to get X amount of sandwiches and vice-versa please

Maybe this would be easier: You want to buy 3 sandwiches. How do you calculate the total cost?

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me understand how to calculate the quantity of an item and the price?

I.e.

Thank you.
Let's see. With one pound I get three. So if I want more than three, I pay a second pound and I have three plus the first three, which is six. Still not enough, I pay a third pound and have 9. Still not enough, I pay a fourth pound and have 12.

This pattern of 3, 6, 9, 12 comes from multiplication by 3. You need to study multiplication. It is very handy in business.

I.e.

There are many ways to answer this question. In order to help you do it, we really need to know what kinds of math you are comfortable with. Do you know proportions, for example? How about fractions? Also, do you have absolutely no idea how to do it, or could you make an attempt but just aren't sure?

One easy way is to see that £10 is 10 times as much money as £1, so you will get 10 times as many sandwiches. How many is that?

For some problems of this type, that easy approach won't be quite as easy, so you need a more flexible method (such as proportions, or unit pricing). Also, some methods are easier to do mentally, while others are easy with a calculator. Can you give us some context?

Hi guys,

I.e.

Thank you.
You want to change 10 pounds into sandwiches so you need a conversion. A conversion is something that equals 1. Some conversions are 60minutes /1hour, 24hours/1day, 1week/7days, 1hour/60minutes.... These all equal 1 because the numerators and denominators are the same (they look different but they are the same. After all, for example, 60minutes does equal 1hour)

In your problem the conversion is 3 sandwiches/£1 or £1/3sandwiches

Now you want to translate £10 in sandwiches:

£10 = £10*1 = £10 * (3 sandwiches/£1) = 30 sandwiches/1 (because the £'s cancelled out) = 30 sandwiches.

This method always work. Having said that you should have been able to see that you simply multiply by 3 sandwiches by 10 to get 30 sandwiches.

You want to change 10 pounds into sandwiches so you need a conversion. A conversion is something that equals 1. Some conversions are 60minutes /1hour, 24hours/1day, 1week/7days, 1hour/60minutes.... These all equal 1 because the numerators and denominators are the same (they look different but they are the same. After all, for example, 60minutes does equal 1hour)

In your problem the conversion is 3 sandwiches/£1 or £1/3sandwiches

Now you want to translate £10 in sandwiches:

£10 = £10*1 = £10 * (3 sandwiches/£1) = 30 sandwiches/1 (because the £'s cancelled out) = 30 sandwiches.

This method always work. Having said that you should have been able to see that you simply multiply by 3 sandwiches by 10 to get 30 sandwiches.

Thank you - great post!

Let's see. With one pound I get three. So if I want more than three, I pay a second pound and I have three plus the first three, which is six. Still not enough, I pay a third pound and have 9. Still not enough, I pay a fourth pound and have 12.

This pattern of 3, 6, 9, 12 comes from multiplication by 3. You need to study multiplication. It is very handy in business.

Thank you this is useful!