Distance from Chord to Circle Edge?

tomadom

I'm trying to work out how to calculate the height of each line from the chord to the edge of the circle (see below).
I know the length of the Chord. (the red line)
I know the radius of the circle.
I also know the height of the center of the chord to the edge of the circle (the green line)

What I want to do, is work out the length of the blue lines at any point along the chord. I'm building something and the radius of the circle is over 4 meters so I'm trying to work out another way of drawing the curve which is part of a larger circle. Thanks!

chord_to_circle_edge.jpg

tough question?

I'm assuming this is a tough question? I can't think of a way to do this? Maybe somebody has an idea how to approach such a problem?

I'm assuming this is a tough question? I can't think of a way to do this? Maybe somebody has an idea how to approach such a problem?

No, it isn't particularly hard. Do you know the equation of a circle? Here, you are essentially asking for y as a function of x. Or, you can think in terms of the Pythagorean theorem.

Here is a discussion of essentially your problem, including a formula for y, in case you've forgotten that bit of algebra.

On the other hand, it's not really hard to make a circle with 4-meter radius; just use a 4-meter string (assuming there's enough space in your workshop).

That's brilliant, thank you very much for this!
It's been a while since I've been to school but looking at this it's coming back to me.
It will be too difficult to use a string for this radius accurately so the formula method is a must.