Back date of Cumulative average scores: Can method truly be applied in math?

Valerian

Hi!

I am at odds with a method that is being applied in calculating a 6 months cumulative average in order to obtain a half yearly performance score and hoping if somebody can explain if this method is even legitimate.

We have a Quality Assessment testing, which is a cumulative average of the number of assessments over a 6 month period. My employer has currently adopted a method where by our performance is rated on a month of month cumulative average of the number of tests passed.

We have a random number of assessments, each month say Jan 6/6 tests passed, Score 1, Feb 10/10 passed, (cumulative 16/16) Score 1, March 7/10 passed (cumulative 23/26) Score 3, April 9/10 (cumulative 32/36) Score 3, May 10/10 (cumulative 42/46) Score 3, June 10/10 (cumulative 52/56) Score 2.

Score Parameters: 100% = Score 1 =, between 92% to 99.99% = Score 2, 85% to 91.99% = Score 3

We are told that the monthly scores is indicative and the final result is based on the score achieved in June. Once the 6th month cumulative score is obtained (above Score 2) the scores for the previous 5 months is also defaults to a Score 2. My question is there any such method in mathematics whereby based on the cumulative score achieved in June, the previous 5 months score will be backdated to a score 2, just because the cumulative 6 month average in June was a 2 or should the previous months score remain unchanged?

Please note the above is the only score which is a variable and calculated as a cumulative. The rest of the other scores given on a month on month basis is a constant and does not add up as a cumulative

Example : Productivity, Development, Customer satisfaction will all be constant, what is currently adopted in example above is if in the month of June the cumulative was a Score 2, then this score 2 is applied for all the previous months, though the above cumulative shows a different Score.

I am told the cumulative average at the end of the 6 months score, is back dated to the previous months (Jan to May)

I would like to know if such a method can truly be applied in mathematics, where the initial month on month scores is a cumulative / running total and at the end of 6 months, the score obtained is defaulted and applied / backdated as a score to all the previous months. Can we actually backdate the cumulative average and apply as a score to the previous months ?? If yes, is there any definition to this method in Maths? I basically know averages and cumulative averages, never heard of this formula.