factorising quadratic equations: Given X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2 = 29, find Y for x = 2 & Z= -3

Carbenade13

factorising quadratic equations: Given X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2 = 29, find Y for x = 2 & Z= -3

Hi group

I got this for homework and can't fathom where to even begin.

Given that X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2 = 29
Find the 2 possible values for Y when x = 2 & Z= -3

total brick wall for me.

Hi group

Given that X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2 = 29
Find the 2 possible values for Y when x = 2 & Z= -3

total brick wall for me.
What do you get for the given equation when you replace X (I am assuming you did not mean 'x') by 2 and Z by -3?

X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2 = 29

(2)^2 + Y^2 + (-3)^2 = 29

simplify and continue.......

Given that \(\displaystyle x^2\, +\, y^2\, +\, z^2\, =\, 29,\)
find the two possible values for \(\displaystyle y\) when \(\displaystyle x\, =\, 2\) and \(\displaystyle z\, =\, -3.\)
Well, you're in "Intermediate" or "Advanced" algebra, so you've already taken pre-algebra and introductory (or "Beginning") algebra. Start with what you learned back then!

You have been given an equation with some variables. You've been given values for two of those variables. Do the "evaluation" thing you learned, by plugging the given numbers in for the specified variables. Then simplify, using "the Order of Operations".

This will leave you with an equation with only one variable. "Isolate" that variable, like you learned for "solving linear equations", so you end up with "y^2 = (some number)". Then take the square root of both sides, remembering to put the "plus/minus" sign on the numerical side.

If you get stuck, please reply showing all of your steps so far. Thank you! ;)