Calculating a water bill - who pays what?

ericakharrison

Hello! I hope someone can help me, I have what I would consider to be a bit of a tricky water bill to break down and divide up between housemates. We always have 4 people living in the house at any given time.

The water bill is £658.64 and covers February 2017-April 2019 (27 months), but the housemates have changed over time, so we need to calculate who owes what based on how long they're at the address.

We also have a direct debit starting this month which will charge us £49.47 in 10 installments to cover the bill. I have already paid £164.66 (25%) towards the bill. Our lease expires in February 2019 so we will only be paying for 25 of the 27 months covered by the bill (as it extends until April 2019)

JD - Lived there for 10 months (has moved out)
DK - Currently lived in house for 6 months, will move out next month (totaling 7 months)
AZ - Takes over from DK next month, so needs to have a share of this bill from July onwards (19 months total)
NS - Still lives in house, will be there for a total of 25 months at end of lease
BB - Still lives in house, will be there for a total of 25 months at end of lease
EH - Still lives in house, will be there for a total of 25 months at end of lease

Can someone tell me how much each person should be paying per month? How do I then divide that up to see how much each person pays towards the direct debit installments of £49.47?

I hope this makes sense!!!

Thank you VERY much :)

Set up a table in excel or google docs:
Rows: all housemates
Columns: time periods when the same housemates were/will be living in the house.
For each column calculate the total bill for the period (add a row for it). Divide it by the number of housemates living in the house at the time and enter the result into each housemate's cell.
Add a column of housemates totals on the right and sum up the row amounts. That's what each person's share of the total bill is. Divide by 10 to get the contribution for each installment.

Hello! I hope someone can help me, I have what I would consider to be a bit of a tricky water bill to break down and divide up between housemates. We always have 4 people living in the house at any given time.

The water bill is £658.64 and covers February 2017-April 2019 (27 months), but the housemates have changed over time, so we need to calculate who owes what based on how long they're at the address.

We also have a direct debit starting this month which will charge us £49.47 in 10 installments to cover the bill. I have already paid £164.66 (25%) towards the bill. Our lease expires in February 2019 so we will only be paying for 25 of the 27 months covered by the bill (as it extends until April 2019)

JD - Lived there for 10 months (has moved out)
DK - Currently lived in house for 6 months, will move out next month (totaling 7 months)
AZ - Takes over from DK next month, so needs to have a share of this bill from July onwards (19 months total)
NS - Still lives in house, will be there for a total of 25 months at end of lease
BB - Still lives in house, will be there for a total of 25 months at end of lease
EH - Still lives in house, will be there for a total of 25 months at end of lease

Can someone tell me how much each person should be paying per month? How do I then divide that up to see how much each person pays towards the direct debit installments of £49.47?

I hope this makes sense!!!

Thank you VERY much :)
I would do following way:

There were total (4*27 =)108 man.month. Total charge = 494.7

Each man.month pays for (494.7/108 =) 4.580556

Then

JD - Lived there for 10 months (has moved out) .......... pays (4.580556 * 10 =) 45.81
DK - Currently lived in house for 6 months, will move out next month (totaling 7 months).......... pays (4.580556 * 7 =) 32.06

and so on.....