Logic question about saving up - am I missing something obvious here??

ulrichburke

Dear Anyone.

OK, not good at arithmetic, but this SEEMS logical, is it!?!

Pretend for argument's sake I get paid 50 units a day (so people don't start converting currencies!) In 100 days I get 50 x 100 or 5,000 units. Hang onto that for a moment, here comes the question.

Assume to hopefully make this so even I can understand it, every day when I spend I spend EXACTLY 50 units, that day's allowance. No more. And every day when I DON'T spend, I spend zero. After 100 no-spending days, I'd've saved 5000 units, right? And as long as I don't spend MORE than 50 units on the spending days, the non-spending days wouldn't have to be consecutive, would they?

That's the question. To save up the 5000 units, would the non-spending days have to be consecutive, assuming that on the SPENDING days I never go over my 50 units max? (And if I spend LESS than the 50 units on spending days, the leftovers will stay in the pot, won't they? So it's like adding them onto the non-spending days?)

Yours puzzledly - I should see this but I don't! -

ulrichburke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I don't see the puzzle here. Could you restate the question? Don't get the consecutive part.
You need to save 5000. What is the question? How many days it will take? Yes, 100 no-spending days. Every time you spend from 1 to 50 adds a day, regardless of how you spent that 50 - in one day, 2, etc, consecutively or not. When spending gets to 51-100 - another day is added. Etc.