proportion: A survey of car owners showed 5 out of 7 preferred to buy regular gas..."

steveopolis

proportion: A survey of car owners showed 5 out of 7 preferred to buy regular gas..."

Apologies for delays in my thank yous. I'm brand new, so my posts need to be moderated. Thanks for helping me (I can read your responses)!!

Is this question missing a key piece of information or am I missing a step?

"A survey of car owners showed 5 out of 7 preferred to buy regular gas. Of those 5 who buy regular gas, 3 of them prefer to pump their own fuel. How many of the 150 people surveyed prefer to pump their own gas?"

Surveyed: 150
Pumping own fuel: 3/5ths of the 5/7ths that prefer regular.
Total pumping own gas: ???

We know that 107 (?) people buy regular gas, and that 3/5ths of those who buy regular gas prefer to pump their own. But I think we don't know how many of those surveyed prefer to pump their own gas (regular or nonregular).

Thanks, lev888. Sometimes I work away at something like this for a good 15 minutes before feeling safe enough to ask about it. The course I'm in has lots of errors in presentation and in the answer keys, so I have no way of knowing when my skills are short -it's just as often something in the course, but because I'm a beginner at math I can never be sure!

Apologies for delays in my thank yous. I'm brand new, so my posts need to be moderated. Thanks for helping me (I can read your responses)!!

Is this question missing a key piece of information or am I missing a step?

"A survey of car owners showed 5 out of 7 preferred to buy regular gas. Of those 5 who buy regular gas, 3 of them prefer to pump their own fuel. How many of the 150 people surveyed prefer to pump their own gas?"

Surveyed: 150
Pumping own fuel: 3/5ths of the 5/7ths that prefer regular.
Total pumping own gas: ???

We know that 107 (?) people buy regular gas, and that 3/5ths of those who buy regular gas prefer to pump their own. But I think we don't know how many of those surveyed prefer to pump their own gas (regular or nonregular).
Yeah, the problem should be asking How many of the 150 people surveyed who uses regular gas prefer to pump their own gas?

Was frustrating. I asked two of the course developers/teachers, both insisted the query was correct and complete, docked me the point.

How do you folks handle such issues when they arise?

Was frustrating. I asked two of the course developers/teachers, both insisted the query was correct and complete, docked me the point.

How do you folks handle such issues when they arise?
Go to their supervisors and complain. Have them show you the correct result and when they can't have them give you the points. If they can do the problem then show them where they are wrong!

Oh, I see.

I guess if my overall mark were affected I would do that.

In my ideal world, they would have someone (like me!) go through the course to identify errors, then they would correct them. I guess another option is to continue the studies through a different school, which might have a more accurate course.