Subset Help Set Theory: Given A = {2, {4, 5}, 4}, consider the following...

thunc14

I'm a bit confused on this problem. I know it's simple but the subtle changes and notation are tripping me up.

Given A = {2, {4, 5}, 4}, consider if the following statements are true or false

{4, 5} ⊂ A
{4, 5}
∈ A
{{4, 5}}
⊂ A
∈ A
{5}
∈ A
{5}
⊂ A
{2}
⊂ A
{2}
∈ A
2 ⊂ A
∈ A

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused on this problem. I know it's simple but the subtle changes and notation are tripping me up.

Given A = {2, {4, 5}, 4}, consider if the following statements are true or false

{4, 5} ⊂ A
{4, 5}
∈ A
{{4, 5}}
⊂ A
∈ A
{5}
∈ A
{5}
⊂ A
{2}
⊂ A
{2}
∈ A
2 ⊂ A
∈ A

Please show your guesses, so we can know where you need help and focus our attention there. If you can also explain your reasoning, it will be even better.

Example: {4, 5} ⊂ A is false because that requires 4 and 5 to be (individually) elements of A, and 5 is not.

Please show your guesses, so we can know where you need help and focus our attention there. If you can also explain your reasoning, it will be even better.

Example: {4, 5} ⊂ A is false because that requires 4 and 5 to be (individually) elements of A, and 5 is not.

{4, 5} ⊂ A
True, because it is a member of set A, therefore a subset. (I know you said it is false but that was my original guess)

{4, 5}
∈ A
Yes, same reason as above.

{{4, 5}}
⊂ A
I don't know what this means

∈ A
Yes, it is a member of A.

{5}
∈ A

{5}
⊂ A

{2}
⊂ A

{2}
∈ A

⊂ A
Yes, it is a member, therefore a possible subset

∈ A
Yes, it is a member

It will help to think of a set as a bag containing things. Your set A is a bag containing the number 2, the number 4, and another bag containing 4 and 5. The contents of the inner bag are not considered elements of the outer bag, because they are not directly contained.

{4, 5} ⊂ A
True, because it is a member of set A, therefore a subset. (I know you said it is false but that was my original guess)

Member and subset are different things. A member is something that is directly listed (namely 2, {4,5}, of 4. A subset is a set containing some or all of those members. Here, {4,5} is one of the members; its own members, 4 and 5, are not both members of A, so it is not a subset.
∈ A
Yes, same reason as above.

Your answer is correct, as I stated above. This set is listed as a member.
⊂ A

This is a set whose only member is the set {4,5}. Think of a bag containing a bag containing stuff. To see whether it is a subset, you ask, is every member of this set a member of A? The answer is yes, since {4,5} is a member of A.
∈ A
Yes, it is a member of A.

Correct.
∈ A

Is {5} listed as a member of A? Again, think of it not as 5 sitting there itself, but 5 contained in a bag sitting inside A. Since {5} is not listed (only 5 itself is), it is not a member.
⊂ A

What do you think now?
⊂ A

What do you think now?
∈ A

What do you think now?
⊂ A
Yes, it is a member, therefore a possible subset

No, this is not asking whether 2 is a member, but whether it is a subset. Since 2 is not a set at all, it can't be.
∈ A
Yes, it is a member
Correct.

Try again, so I can see whether this has helped.

There are some tricky concepts here; mathematicians have had to develop them in order to talk clearly about sets, though this is foreign to ordinary language! So it does take time to catch on.

{4, 5} ⊂ A
False. {4}
⊂ A is true, but {5} ⊂ A is not true, so the statement is false.

{4, 5}
∈ A
True. The set of 4, 5 is inside the { }, so it is a member of A

{{4, 5}}
⊂ A
True. The set {4, 5} is a member of A, so the set containing this set is a subset of A

∈ A
No, 5 is not directly listed as a member of A

{5}
∈ A
No, there is no set of 5 listed, therefore the statement is false

{5}
⊂ A
No, because the element in {5}, which is 5, is not a direct member of set A.

{2}
⊂ A
Yes, because every element is {2}, which is 2, is a member of set A

{2}
∈ A
No, because there is no {2} listed as a member of set A

⊂ A
No, because this is not asking for a set

∈ A
Yes, 2 is a member of set A

Last edited:
{4, 5} ⊂ A
False. {4}
⊂ A is true, but {5} ⊂ A is not true, so the statement is false.
I think it would be clearer to say, 4 A is true, but 5 A is not true. But you're right.
{4, 5}
∈ A
True. The set of 4, 5 is inside the { }, so it is a member of A

{{4, 5}}
⊂ A
True. The set {4, 5} is a member of A, so the set containing this set is a subset of A

∈ A
No, 5 is not directly listed as a member of A

{5}
∈ A
No, there is no set of 5 listed, therefore the statement is false

{5}
⊂ A
No, because the element in {5}, which is 5, is not a direct member of set A.

{2}
⊂ A
Yes, because every element in {2}, which is 2, is a member of set A

{2}
∈ A
No, because there is no {2} listed as a member of set A

⊂ A
No, because this is not asking for a set

∈ A
Yes, 2 is a member of set A

Good work. Feeling a little less fuzzy yet? It will take time.

{4, 5} ⊂ A
{4, 5}
∈ A
{{4, 5}}
⊂ A
∈ A
{5}
∈ A
{5}
⊂ A
{2}
⊂ A
{2}
∈ A
2 ⊂ A
∈ A

Maybe this will help. The commas between the outer { } separate the set into its elements or members or objects. So the elements in your set are 2, {4,5) and 4. Yes, {4,5} in this case is an element of the set.

Now to use C, you must have a set on both sides of it. So if A and B are sets then we can talk about A C B. So when is A C B, read as A is a subset of B? A C B if every element in A is in B but B has at least one more element than A.

Let A be a set. So 7 C A is always false because 7 is not even a set. Again the only way possible for A to be a subset of B is if A and B are sets. Then you can check the elements of A and B to decide if in fact A C B.