Weird n stuff: for a0=1 and an+1 = 2an+1 for n=0,1,2,… What is the value of a4?

Batarang96

Weird n stuff: for a0=1 and an+1 = 2an+1 for n=0,1,2,… What is the value of a4?

I have no idea where to start, here. I'm reviewing for the accuplacer test, and I'm just not able to comprehend the examples I've been looking at.

The sequence
an is defined by a0=1 and an+1 = 2an+1 for n=0,1,2, What is the value of a4?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea where to start, here. I'm reviewing for the accuplacer test, and I'm just not able to comprehend the examples I've been looking at.

The sequence
Is that correct?!

The sequence

I would assume it really said an+1 = 2an + 1, and asked for a4. If it doesn't, then what I say will just be another example!

The idea here is that if you know one term in the sequence, an, then the formula tells you what the next one is, an+1.

You are told that a0 = 1. So you can find a1 by applying the formula with n = 0: a0+1 = 2a0 + 1 = 2(1) + 1 = 3. Then you can repeat to find a2, then a3, then a4, which will be the answer.

Got it?

The sequence
If the rule is an+1 = 2an + 1, then this says to get the next term you multiply the proceeding term by 2 and then add 1. If you can say in words what the equation an+1 = 2an + 1 is saying then the rest is trivial.

I would assume it really said an+1 = 2an + 1, and asked for a4. If it doesn't, then what I say will just be another example!

The idea here is that if you know one term in the sequence, an, then the formula tells you what the next one is, an+1.

You are told that a0 = 1. So you can find a1 by applying the formula with n = 0: a0+1 = 2a0 + 1 = 2(1) + 1 = 3. Then you can repeat to find a2, then a3, then a4, which will be the answer.

Got it?

Thank you for the responses, everyone.

So a4 = 5, thus 2(5x3)+1 = 2(15)+1 = 31?