Why is V facing away from the center? (8 people seated at circular table)

Ganesh Ujwal

Eight persons - P,Q,R,S,T,U,V and W are sitting around a circular table but not necessary in the same order. Some of them are facing the center and the rest are facing away from the center. It is know that P and W are facing each other. V is to the left of P. Q is third to the left of U as well as V. S is third to the right of T as well as R. T and V are not facing the same direction.

Diagram look this:

Ui7G0nl.jpg

Why is V facing away from the center?

... T and V are not facing the same direction.

Why is V facing away from the centre?

From what you have stated above, V could face inward, but that would imply that T was facing outward. This diagram above only shows one set of possible solutions.

Eight persons - P,Q,R,S,T,U,V and W are sitting around a circular table but not necessary in the same order. Some of them are facing the center and the rest are facing away from the center. It is know that P and W are facing each other. V is to the left of P. Q is third to the left of U as well as V. S is third to the right of T as well as R. T and V are not facing the same direction.

Diagram look this:

View attachment 9645

Why is V facing away from the center?

Going through the reasoning process to create the diagram, if V faced inward, then Q would have to be where W is (3 to his left). Have you gone through that process step by step?

I find the problem somewhat ambiguous, especially the last sentence. As I see it, V and T are facing the same direction! Apparently they mean they don't both face outward or both inward.

Going through the reasoning process to create the diagram, if V faced inward, then Q would have to be where W is (3 to his left). Have you gone through that process step by step?

I find the problem somewhat ambiguous, especially the last sentence. As I see it, V and T are facing the same direction! Apparently, they mean they don't both face outward or both inward.

I would assume this is true: if they face the same direction, they would sit in front of each other, so that they could look each other in the eyes. The arrows on the diagram are just an abstraction of the real thing. And not key to what they are really asking. But I agree that this is ambiguous.

Last edited: