Back-working moisture content in woodchip

woodtekenergy

Hi, im hoping you guys/girls can help me with this:

i have 450kg of woodchip with 10% moisture content(This is after drying). I know before drying the moisture content of the woodchip was 55%. I want to know what is the original wet weight of the woodchip?

Thanks

Stuart

i have 450kg of woodchip with 10% moisture content(This is after drying). I know before drying the moisture content of the woodchip was 55%. I want to know what is the original wet weight of the woodchip?

Thanks

Stuart
Work with the wood-content of the mixture - that remains constant.

The amount of wood in the 450 kg wood-chip (10% moisture) = ?

Then that much wood present in the original mixture (45% wood) - what would be the weight of the mixture (... if wood-chuck could chuck wood)?

If the 450 kg of woodchip is 10% water then it is 90% "dry wood". That is 0.9(450)= 405 kg of dry wood. Let w be the total weight of the woodchip, both water and dry wood, before drying. Since it was 55% water, there was .55w kg of water and the same 405 kg of dry wood. That is a total of .55w+ 405= w. Solve that equation for w.

Thanks

Stuart
It's not as easy as you might hope. Wood moisture is defined in terms of current RELATIVE humidity. What was the original relative humidity when the 55% value was calculated? What is the relative humidity, now? Maybe ignoring it is an acceptable approximation.