Is it possible to transform a polygon to graph knowing length of the sides?

Szychax

Hi I have a problem...
It's possible to transform a polygon to graph knowing length of the sides?
For example we have a trapezoid which has bases a=3, b=6 and legs = 5 and my question is: Can it be converted to (x,y) ?
I know x can be a length but how get y value? :confused:
In general find vertexes of polygon.

Last edited:
Hi I have a problem...
It's possible to transform a polygon to graph knowing length of the sides?
For example we have a trapezoid which has bases a=3, b=6 and legs = 5 and my question is: Can it be converted to (x,y) ?
I know x can be a length but how get y value? :confused:
In general find vertexes of polygon.

I suppose what you are asking for is a way to list the coordinates of the vertices given only the data you have provided. It makes no sense to say that the x-coordinate of each vertex will be "a length", so I'll ignore that part.

You would first have to know where the polygon lies on the coordinate system; for instance, that a certain point is at the origin and a certain edge from it lies along the positive x-axis. And in general, how you would do this would vary considerably based on what information is given. (The sides alone are sufficient only for triangles, and when you also know something that implies angles, in this case that it is a trapezoid.) There is no general method.

In your example, I might choose to put the left end of the longer base at (0,0); then the right end would be at (6,0). From the legs and the short base, using the Pythagorean theorem, you could find the height of the trapezoid, which is the y-coordinate of the other two vertices; and since this would be an isosceles trapezoid, the x-coordinates would be at 1.5 and 4.5 respectively (1.5 to the left and right of the line x=3 through the midpoint of the base).

Is that the sort of thing you are looking for? To repeat, the process will be different for any polygon you describe, and will require different sorts of information; and the answer will vary depending on where you choose to place it.